Rubber Eggs in Young Hen?

Ponyfeather

Songster
5 Years
Feb 26, 2014
California
I have a hen I'm rather worried about she had been laying rubber eggs lately(a little over a week?). I'm honestly very worried about this because I don't want one to pop inside her. I'm rather sure we lost a hen this way earlier this year which was traumatic for everyone me and the other hens.

I'm worried because she is just finishing up growing in feather from her first molt. They're currently on feather fix to help with that. Also, I'm worried because she is half blind + the dominant hen in the group. We just got another hen settled into the group of three chickens, I don't want to have to reintroduce another so soon. The other two don't need the trauma of losing their dominate hen + I just don't want to lose another hen so soon.

I will note the other two are laying normal eggs and other than one being a bit bald, seem to not be suffering any health issues.

The only reason I could see my girl having egg issues is we are in the bay area and we had to evacuate for about a week because of the fires and they were in a very awkward situation where they had very limited yard space during the day and slept in a cat carrier in my uncle's garage for their own safety. But the other two seem fine after their very strange week.

Are you giving oyster shell? Feather Fixer doesn't have as much calcium as layer pellets. It is not uncommon for new layers to have issues until all kinks are worked out. Also, the stress of everything going on could also cause egg laying issues.

Are you giving oyster shell? Feather Fixer doesn't have as much calcium as layer pellets. It is not uncommon for new layers to have issues until all kinks are worked out. Also, the stress of everything going on could also cause egg laying issues.

Yes, they have free choice oyster shell next to their feed dish. Also, she is just over a year old turned 1 on the 29th of September. That is good to know and I will pick up another brand of feed to start mixing with the feather fix.

I hope she relaxes soon if it was the recent trauma.

If she has free choice oyster shell the feather fixer is fine...I've used it for my mixed flock many times as it has more protein than most layer feed. Especially if the feed store is out of my normal layer feed, which is Hearty Hen. I use it due to being a layer feed with same protein as feather fixer 18% and slightly more calcium.

Back
Top Bottom