Rubber for lining floor of chicken coop?

In my main coop I picked up a roll of leftover commercial grade linoleum. I think I paid $30 for it. The thick heavy stuff. Cut it to go in as one piece on the floor, going up the walls as well. Looks nice and is easy to clean. Installation was a bit tricky, but worth it.

Whenever I need to replace it, I'll probably go with Black Jack. We'll see!

We sprayed everything with Thompson’s Water Seal then laid a pond liner on the floor and covered it with three inches of natural, coarse river sand. It’s easy to clean and the girls LOVE to dust bathe inside when the sun shines in the window on those cold winter mornings!

92E2D471-9332-49EB-9041-F06856D518DC.jpeg

Hi, newbie to chick-raising! Building a coop now, and weighing options regarding what to use on the floor of my coop. It's 8 x 4 with plywood construction. Considering sealing floor with rubberized paint or just painting with regular paint. Found some neoprene rubber sheeting on a roll that can be bought by the foot on Amazon and was wondering if this was an appropriate material to be used as a liner on the floor?? Thanks (below is a link to the material)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016C5G4CY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1A7DE8BCH12CM&psc=1

I used some of the snap together floor mats for your work shop. They offer some cushion for when your chickens jump down of there roost. Also they are fairly easy to clean.I also put wood shavings on top of the mats.

Last edited:
Hi, newbie to chick-raising! Building a coop now, and weighing options regarding what to use on the floor of my coop. It's 8 x 4 with plywood construction. Considering sealing floor with rubberized paint or just painting with regular paint. Found some neoprene rubber sheeting on a roll that can be bought by the foot on Amazon and was wondering if this was an appropriate material to be used as a liner on the floor?? Thanks (below is a link to the material)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016C5G4CY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1A7DE8BCH12CM&psc=1

I wouldn't suggest using cheap vinyl, can be a real mess to clean up once it starts breaking down.
I used some of the snap together floor mats for your work shop. They offer some cushion for when your chickens jump down of there roost. Also they are fairly easy to clean.I also put wood shavings on top of the mats.
I don't see why not.
[/QUOTE]
I used a kitchen vinyl flooring, off the roll at Lowe's , nailed down into the wood floor. Then I added about 5 inches of Quikrete sand. It's been over 7 years and the coop is still low maintenance with a poop board.

Attachments

• IMG_20190627_175823.jpg
    IMG_20190627_175823.jpg
    755.8 KB · Views: 47
We sprayed everything with Thompson’s Water Seal then laid a pond liner on the floor and covered it with three inches of natural, coarse river sand. It’s easy to clean and the girls LOVE to dust bathe inside when the sun shines in the window on those cold winter mornings!

View attachment 2093344
Yup, they love sand. Keeps the coop clean and if you use a poop board, just 2 minutes with a kitty litter scoop and daily cleaning is done. (I use sweet pdz on poop board so no smell). Sand keeps their nails a bit more trim, they like to dust bathe and I never see the vinyl underneath... Which is good because it's some 80's- looking ugliness.

Back
Top Bottom