Rubbermaid Brooder?

here is pic of the brooder I was using until I moved the little ones out side ,
I just installed a 2"x2" as a cross brace then connectred my heat lamp to this bar using
an upright

19143_100_1242.jpg

I used a rubbermaid container for my chicks as well. I didn't bother covering it for the first week or two, as they were too little to get out. I hung the heat lamp on a nearby cabinet and fastened it with like 3-4 pinch clamps. The thing never moved until I smacked my head on it and the actual lamp clamp fell apart. Haha! It hurt so much. But after the stars disappeared I grabbed a wrench and fixed it easily.

When the fuzzy butts got big enough to consider getting out of the rubbermaid tub I just used a dog gate laid over the top as my cover. It worked great for me.

The one other thing I did was to raise the brooder off the floor with two 4x4s holding a piece of plysood off the floor that I placed the tub on. I did this because my brooder was kept in an unheated workshop built on a cement pad. The pad stays at about 50 degrees, and that was too cold for the first few weeks.

I can't wait to see pictures of your fuzzy butts!

We've used rubbermaid totes as brooder for both chicks and ducklings. Works great (for a bit). They out grew the brooders surprisingly fast. Of course we had ours inside longer than intended as our coop wasn't ready. We used a window screen over the brooder when they could fly. They quickly learned how to get on top of the waterer and always looking for a way to escape.

I am useing one right now and I have 5 chicks in it. I put a old oven rack on top and have a heat lamp clamped to it. They seem to be getting enough heat and my dog has yet to be in it.

Thank you all for your replies, I know I saw some rubbermaid brooders on here, glad I wasn't crazy!

I have to have a top on the tote because I have two curious cats and the chicks will be indoors, I live in Canada and there's just no other way around it, they are destined to be house chickies.

Okay, stupid question, but where do you buy heat lamps? And how much do they usually cost??
idunno.gif

I will take pics of the set up as soon as we get it... set up! lol.

There will be lots of pics of the fuzzy butts, as long as the hatch goes well. It's my first so I am a wee bit nervous. :S

Okay so for the people who keep their chicks INDOORS what do you do about the poop? What do you use as your litter? Any info on this would be so helpful.

Back
Top Bottom