Rubbermaid shed as a coop?!

K9ThorsMom

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 25, 2010
Pinellas County, FL
Ok, this may sound a little weird, but I want to know what you guys think of me using my existing Rubbermaid Big Max shed as a chicken coop? Nothing has really ever been stored in the shed that could cause harm to the chickens...(the lawnmower has been out of it for over a year, and wasn't in it very long prior...no gas or oil leaks)...I was thinking of modifying the shed to allow for more ventilation (there are tiny slates at the very top, but no existing windows, etc)...For the exterior run, I was going to use welded wire or something that would help keep out predators..I do have a few concerns though-

1) I live in Florida where the temps can get really really hot...the coop would be open during the day so the chickens could go in and out as they pleased, but I am concerned how hot it would get at night?! putting electric to the coop is not an option, as my lab is a chewer and I can totally see him chewing the electric cord (labs...der!)

2) the coop will be under a large oak tree that was there before I was born, and pretty much shades a large area of my yard...that being said, the coop will still get some sun- do you think the plastic shed will give off harmful odors or whatever that could make my babies ill?!

3) the shed currently houses some decent sized black widow spiders (hey, i'm cool with spiders...they do a lot of good...I don't bother them, and they don't bother me!) Anyways, I plan on relocating the spiders (yes, I refuse to kill them!), but if I am not able to get them all, are they harmful to chickens, or just another delicacy?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Several of us on here are discussing this very thing... the Rubbemaid storage shed... Check out the thread "Ready-made... resin or steel?"

Tha main difference for you is your warmer location. But join us... we are all about in the same beginning stage with the renovations.
frow.gif

What kind of K9 is Thor? Mmaddie is a GSD.

mmaddie's mom :

Several of us on here are discussing this very thing... the Rubbemaid storage shed... Check out the thread "Ready-made... resin or steel?"

Tha main difference for you is your warmer location. But join us... we are all about in the same beginning stage with the renovations.
frow.gif

What kind of K9 is Thor? Mmaddie is a GSD.

I just saw that thread!!! Silly me, should have checked first...but I'm subscribing to that post, so I can keep updated also...

Thor is my GSD that just passed away in October :*( He was a big goofy bi-color that was a stray on the streets when I got him in 1998...was approx. a year old then...I had him for just over 12 yrs...such a gentle soul...I miss him
sad.png

Quote:
I just saw that thread!!! Silly me, should have checked first...but I'm subscribing to that post, so I can keep updated also...

Thor is my GSD that just passed away in October :*( He was a big goofy bi-color that was a stray on the streets when I got him in 1998...was approx. a year old then...I had him for just over 12 yrs...such a gentle soul...I miss him
sad.png

So sorry for you loss of your boy... Mmaddie will be 11 this summer, still in pretty good shape for an old girl... you never know?

Back
Top Bottom