Rubbish Coop and pen

Well done you!!!! it's looking good so far....keep up the good work the "girls" will love you for it.........English Chick starts singing "if I where a carpenter...I'd make me a coop, oh if I was a carpenter".......unfortunately I am not, so my girls live in a garden shed and run wild during the day in the orchard.........Oh if I was a carpenter........ many congrats chicken addict.

I think I'm more a bodger than a carpenter!

Had to work until 2.15am last night so had the day off today to make up for it and spent some time on the coop. Finished insulating the inside - ran out of the nice shiney insulation so used some had to use bubble wrap in some of the higher up sections. Also ran out out nice MDF sheets so used whatever bits of suitable sheets I could find so have ended up with a rather unattractive interior!

I put battons around the doors to reduce draughts - the board at the bottom of the doors lifts out to aid cleaning.

insulation%20finished.JPG

Have now added the access ramp. I decided to enclose it and have the entrance under the coop so that wind won't get in and I can go away without having to close it up at night - does this sound OK? Will be secure as inside a pen but unsure if the temperature will be less warm in the winter - not that it often gets really cold in the UK.

ramp1.JPG

ramp2.JPG

I've put 2 roosts in (1 is hidden behind the 1 you can see) and a ramp up to them; the chickens haven't moved in yet but they wanted a look around....

hens%20inside1.JPG

hens%20inside2.JPG

That is turning out so nice!! I love the enclosed stairway, very inventive!! I am at a standstill here, need to paint some things, but the humidity is too high for it to dry properly. I worked on making backside the main run area secure from preditors, and maybe even large bugs!

Well I think I've finished - well I have other ideas but I need a rest from all this hard work! Should be getting 6 more ex-battery hens tomorrow.

Better shot of roosts

roosts3.JPG

I made a large feeder from an old desk - unsure of capacity but looks like 2 or 3 20kg sacks of feed would fit. The top opens up to allow feed to be poured in.

feeder1.JPG

feeder.JPG

This shows the outside with feeder and under coop access door, also the side of the pen going back to the rear pen with chicken door in the background

right%20side%20done2.JPG

With access door open

right%20side%20under.JPG

I've added guttering and a downpipe

rear3.JPG

And this is how the front looks now:

front5.JPG

So this was a cheap build; I only had to buy the aviary mesh and door hinges plus nails, screws and hooks

Back
Top Bottom