RuBee's Little Red Coop

RuBee

Chirping
Nov 29, 2018
Central Virginia
I'm back in the chicken world! We had chickens 20 years ago, but gave them to a friend in the country when we moved. Several years ago I mentioned that I might want to get chickens again. My husband gave me a chicken coop for Christmas that year. Well, he didn't get it put together until this past summer. So in August I acquired three sex link hens from a local farmer. I have already had to deal with sick hens, one didn't make it, so I'm down to two hens. We've had opossums in the chicken run. I set a trap, but caught a raccoon instead. I used to let them free range if was home, but I recently spotted a chicken hawk hanging around. My biggest dilemma so far has been dealing with an egg bound chicken. The egg broke inside of her. That was over a week ago. She's not 100% yet, but I'm hopeful that she'll get there. I'm happy to have chickens again and am thankful for the BYC community.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens!:welcome We are glad you joined the flock! BYC is a helpful site providing all of the information you need to know about poultry! There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: A secure coop at night with no holes bigger than 2 in. is the only way to prevent these nocturnal pest. Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

byc1-chicken-feed1.gif

hithere.gif
Glad you decided to join us!

I'm so sorry you're having such a rough start and lost one of your chickens already. How old were the hens that you were given? Sex links are high egg producers, but unfortunately can be prone to a lot of reproductive issues.

Here's a few articles that may help give you some ideas on how to get your coop in good working order:
How Much Room Do Chickens Need

Chicken Coop Ventilation - Go Out There And Cut More Holes In Your Coop!

Predator Proofing

One thing to remember is that keeping your coop dry and draft-free with good ventilation is more important than holding in heat. This article offers a detailed breakdown of how chickens naturally survive the cold, and whether or not adding warmth is necessary:
Cold Weather Advisory

Best wishes in your new chicken adventure!!

Sounds like you jumped back into the drama and trauma of chicken raising with both feet!! And yet, it's so rewarding -- from fresh eggs to hatching chicks to the daily entertainment of chicken watching.

Trapping intruders can be a challenging experience. I was trying to snag a murderous mink -- what I got was a very surly possum. Removing it from the live trap safely (for both of us) was much harder than luring it in. Still, it was a better experience than kill-trapping the rat who settled in next door to one of the coops.

A Great Horned Owl that was trying to attack my ducks apparently knocked itself silly in the process by hitting an overhead electrical wire, and I got to meet a nice DNR officer who relocated the juvenile bird. Having poultry opens a person up to all kinds of life experiences. BTW, owls can have a really EVIL stare!

Enjoy your girls (and potential new additions, since everyone here understands chicken math), and welcome to BYC, RuBee.

Back
Top Bottom