Run beddin?

RyleeandMax

Chirping
May 23, 2019
Hello all!! I am building a new chicken coop since my old one is falling apart and I need some help on what kind of bedding I should put into the outside run. I live in Montana, so winters here get VERY cold and obviously we have to deal with snow:rolleyes: I was thinking sand, but I’ve read some things about it causing respiratory issues with the chickens and it can potentially freeze in the winter? I also know that straw and shavings get pretty dirty and I am almost certain that I want to keep those material inside of the coop. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Did you buy the mulch from a nursery or a store? If so what brand was it?
Check with local tree companies....most will dump a load of wood chips for you for free/nominal fee. Commercially packaged mulch is often used or otherwise treated (also a concern depending on the trees trimmed and chipped from the previous suggestion I made) so be aware and choose accordingly.

Last edited:
Hello all!! I am building a new chicken coop since my old one is falling apart and I need some help on what kind of bedding I should put into the outside run. I live in Montana, so winters here get VERY cold and obviously we have to deal with snow:rolleyes: I was thinking sand, but I’ve read some things about it causing respiratory issues with the chickens and it can potentially freeze in the winter? I also know that straw and shavings get pretty dirty and I am almost certain that I want to keep those material inside of the coop. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Hey, I recently had to make the decision to of what run bedding to put. I decided mulch as it does not freeze, causes no issues to chickens and they can still forage unlike sand.

Will your run be covered with a solid roof?
Not sure there's anything you can use for bedding that won't freeze solid in your climate.

My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.

It all freezes in winter, some shoveling, good drainage and bedding keeps it from being a mess at snow melt time.

8252A1DC-47CC-4CB6-8C6D-3C7CD86CD253.jpeg

I use a deep litter/compost in both my coop and run, which consists of what ever yard waste/composable material I collect.

During winter I throw a bale of grass hay in the run. Living in North Idaho I’m sure my winters are pretty similar to yours in Montana.

The composting litter does put off some heat and rarely freezes. It also keeps the hens with some place to scratch around.

BDDA0C65-5623-4E4D-8C66-A237AD9F2B15.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom