Run & Coop along (a sequel to my other thread)

sorry i haven't posted. i've been doing schoolwork upon schoolwork. i plan to build them a play structure soon, and i haven't found help or time to do the coop.. but i've tried to improvise. we have a back porch that they enjoy sleeping on. a few of them go to the porch, but the others seem to prefer the coop.. iv'e also been trying to help them with a few other problems, such as frostbite. i almost got that fixed, and i need to trim my chicken's beak a lot more. i think i'll recycle some of the parts of the current coop, and make them into a play structure to prevent picking-on.
Please prioritise their main shelter especially if you’re getting frost

sorry i haven't posted. i've been doing schoolwork upon schoolwork. i plan to build them a play structure soon, and i haven't found help or time to do the coop.. but i've tried to improvise. we have a back porch that they enjoy sleeping on. a few of them go to the porch, but the others seem to prefer the coop.. iv'e also been trying to help them with a few other problems, such as frostbite. i almost got that fixed, and i need to trim my chicken's beak a lot more. i think i'll recycle some of the parts of the current coop, and make them into a play structure to prevent picking-on.
at this point i really think you need to revisit the idea of re-homing these birds until you fix the conditions they live in.

i have no doubt your intentions are really good and you want to fix things but it’s been over two weeks since you started your previous thread and all you’ve done is…start another thread.

of course some of your birds prefer the coop. if i gave you a choice of sleeping outside or sleeping in a shack, you’d take the shack.

you also need to stop thinking up other projects to do until their coop is straightened out.

part of growing up and taking on responsibilities is understanding when you’re in over your head, which i think you are here.

i’m sure you can find someone to take your birds in over the winter, which will give you a few months to make sure they’re cared for properly.

at this point i really think you need to revisit the idea of re-homing these birds until you fix the conditions they live in.

i have no doubt your intentions are really good and you want to fix things but it’s been over two weeks since you started your previous thread and all you’ve done is…start another thread.

of course some of your birds prefer the coop. if i gave you a choice of sleeping outside or sleeping in a shack, you’d take the shack.

you also need to stop thinking up other projects to do until their coop is straightened out.

part of growing up and taking on responsibilities is understanding when you’re in over your head, which i think you are here.

i’m sure you can find someone to take your birds in over the winter, which will give you a few months to make sure they’re cared for properly.
Unfortunately I think this is the best advice. When you are introducing any animal to your home you sort out food, water and accommodation first. Always always research the amount of space and environmental conditions (e.g. temperature) they can tolerate. No ifs no buts. I hate the idea of pooping all over your enthusiasm as I’m quite young and a bit unconventional without infinite resources and limited as what I’n Allowed to put up in my yard, myself but you need the basics right. It’s a shame because from what I remember in other posts you seem to have a lot of knowledge about other aspects of birds but are falling short on husbandry. I had to do 25 hours of coursework a week on top a 60+ hour a week job as an apprentice so I hear you on being busy with school and trying to take care of a whole farm as well. I think maybe rehome them for now, and perhaps when you aren’t so busy get quail as practice because they’re smaller and you can more easily control their environment indoors (or they won’t need a massive outdoor coop or run).

ok, Update:

today i am extremely behind on school, but today i raked over a whole construction bag of leaves. their run is now over half covered. yes, i had put grass down, but it shriveled and took up almost no space. they don't sleep in their coop, instead i'm still at step 2 on the coop part.. which is finding help. i plan to build them something huge, and that will last. they all huddle on the roof of their coop, anyway. the vaseline disappeared off their combs and wattles, so i'm still battling frostbite. i know nobody who would give my chickens back after everything's taken care of.. and i love them so much and don't want them to go.. it's probably better for them to be rehomed, but i know stilts would be devastated. she loves me and my brother. i'm going to try everything before i rehome them..

Vaseline in my experience is not helpful.
Are your birds actually getting frost bitten or are you trying to prevent it?

What are your overnight lows and what are your humidity levels reading?
this morning it's 40 degrees fahrenheit and they are getting frost bitten and i'm trying to stop it because they already have enough problems

this morning it's 40 degrees fahrenheit and they are getting frost bitten and i'm trying to stop it because they already have enough problems

What's the relative humidity been in your area?

Can you post pics of the most frost bitten comb?
Frostbite is very painful if messed with. It is not advised to even touch the damaged area. It's best to allow it to heal on its own while watching for infection.
If the whole comb is affected (which is rare) the bird may need a vet.

Is the frostbite happening on birds that sleep IN the coop or ON the coop? If IN the coop you need better ventilation.

it's probably better for them to be rehomed, but i know stilts would be devastated. she loves me and my brother. i'm going to try everything before i rehome them..
You could rehome SOME of them, and keep that particular chicken plus one or two others as companions for it.

The less chickens you have, the fewer problems they will have with your current setup while they wait for you to make the improvements.

i know nobody who would give my chickens back after everything's taken care of.. and i love them so much and don't want them to go..
You are probably right that rehoming them is permanent. But you could get new chickens after building a better coop, and you would come to love the new chickens too.

ok, Update:

today i am extremely behind on school, but today i raked over a whole construction bag of leaves. their run is now over half covered. yes, i had put grass down, but it shriveled and took up almost no space. they don't sleep in their coop, instead i'm still at step 2 on the coop part.. which is finding help. i plan to build them something huge, and that will last. they all huddle on the roof of their coop, anyway. the vaseline disappeared off their combs and wattles, so i'm still battling frostbite. i know nobody who would give my chickens back after everything's taken care of.. and i love them so much and don't want them to go.. it's probably better for them to be rehomed, but i know stilts would be devastated. she loves me and my brother. i'm going to try everything before i rehome them..
Forget that, prioritise the coop. They need warm shelter right now. Even if you keep them inside in your house that's better. Maybe keep your favourite and a companion in your house and rehome the rest. They are not just possibly coming to harm, they are actually actively coming to harm right this second therefore I can't keep my mouth shut anymore- the birds need to come first. I think people can indeed be overzealous about judging others who have less time and money for fancy setups, but you need to meet absolutely bare minimum welfare requirements. I tried to give the benefit of the doubt because you seem very young and sweet but I'm actually disappointed and angry that everyone has tried to really gently give you encouragement and suggestions to spare your feelings and be sympathetic to your situation (people complain about bullying and elitism on animal care forums) and it has only resulted in the birds suffering. I felt irresponsible just for hatching two males and wanting to hatch more for hens when I already have space food water and equipment for 6 more birds! Sorry but rehome the birds, concentrate on school and IF you can figure out a suitable indoor setup for button quail maybe try that because smaller scale would be more manageable for you. However DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT get them until you've got the setup down.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom