Run criticisms

cjweaver13

Chirping
Jun 18, 2021
Northeast Pennsylvania
Thoughts on run? It's sided completely with 2x4 10ga welded wire with about a 2 foot apron on the sides. Metal 1" chicken wire wraps around about 2ft high so something can't reach in as easy and chickens can't poke out. Corners and contacts with the coop is also reinforced with hardware cloth. All contacts with wood is further secured with wood screws and washers every 6 inches or so. The roof is 1 inch metal chicken wire. Lastly, a tarp will cover the top completely over the wire.

What are your thoughts? 100% hardware cloth just wasn't an option this year due to budget, but possiy we will add a bit here and there as we can to make it bulletproof. Was also thinking running 1 electrici wire about 6 inches up

Attachments

• 4CE460C5-0027-448F-8C8A-E6E1E02D1774.jpeg
    4CE460C5-0027-448F-8C8A-E6E1E02D1774.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 125
What's your predator load? What are you trying to protect from? It's more than I have done with my run.
I would say moderate at least. Mainly raccoons, weasels, fox, and maybe a coyote. From above just standard birds of prey as I have seen Hawks and actually just rescued a kestral (they shouldn't bother chickens) during a storm

I think it looks nice! Yeah, add hardware cloth as you can; that's about all I can suggest.

I have a similar set up, and it has worked very well. I used two heavy duty tarps over the roof to keep out rain and snow. The chicken wire helps support the tarp between the metal frame pieces, and I was able to use a broom to clean off any snow accumulation.

One thing that we're changing: Instead of the tarps, we're going to put up polycarbonate panels for roofing. The tarps worked great, but they made the run kind of dark and dreary.

I used clear shower curtains zip tied to the sides to act as a windbreak. I covered the west side (prevailing wind) and went around the SW and NW corners to give added protection. I left the east side open, but it's near the garage, so not a lot of wind from that direction. In time, I'll probably get some clear polycarbonate panels to put on the side in the winter too.

Looks pretty good!

Lastly, a tarp will cover the top completely over the wire.
Do you get snow?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1625920384590.png

Back
Top Bottom