Run debate

Skibum

Songster
May 6, 2022
I currently have 9 chicks who are about 6 weeks old. I have a 4x10 coop for them and a covered run that is 4x8. I put a lot of work in predator proofing the run. I live in CO in a residential area outside of town. I am working on putting the privacy fence on my 1/2 acre property back together to make supervised free range time less terrifying. We have numerous hawks in the area. I realize the covered run will not be enough space in the long run but im working with what I have for now as the costs of starting as a chicken tender are higher than I budgeted for.

I am wondering what else to do. I was considering adding more space with the T posts and wire fencing I already have. It would not be nearly as predator proofed as my covered run. I could convince myself to maybe put some hardware cloth around the existing fence but it would feel kind of dumb to cut a whole in the more predator proofed run to allow them to come and go because I fear it would allow whatever might enter the extra space to enter my more highly guarded run….. ugh. Does anyone have thoughts? I would also consider adding more like a large dog kennel which would be sturdier.

Ive added a photo of the coop and run. Note this was before I added the hardware cloth to the wood and dug a 1 ft trench and buried hardwire cloth.

Attachments

• 83F50E31-7CB4-49B3-B6B2-FC6ED0EB7DF5.jpeg
    83F50E31-7CB4-49B3-B6B2-FC6ED0EB7DF5.jpeg
    597.6 KB · Views: 43
The run itself is a little small, but the fact that they can also explore the nice coop gives them a decent amount of space to stretch out. I wouldn't add any more chickens to this setup, but I wouldn't feel too bad about having 9 living in this either.

As for the yard and hawks during supervised yard time - add yard clutter for them to hide under (overturned lawn chairs, bushes, maybe a trampoline... anything they can dart under at a moments notice) and that will help out their free range time safety.

How big of a dog kennel (or T-post & wire fence) could you afford to add on?

The reality is most chickens prefer being out in the run, so although the coop is a good size for the number of birds, they're more likely to be out in the run during the day, so that's where the small run is going to be problematic.

If hawks are the primary concern, netting or chicken wire over the top of the run extension will go a long way to keep hawks out, without adding too much extra cost.

Thank you everyone for your responses. Ill look into the pop door. Im not familiar with that term. I have to measure the
They really NEED to have more run space. 10 square feet per bird is the recommended minimum so increasing your 4x8 to 8x12 is your best option.

You can put a pop door into your secure run to give your birds two levels of security.
I tried looking up pop door but didn’t really find anything. Do you mind explaining what you mean? I’ve never heard that term before.

I think I’ll try to piece together some pallets and the wire I have left to expand the run.

I tried looking up pop door but didn’t really find anything. Do you mind explaining what you mean? I’ve never heard that term before.
Pop door is a chicken sized door (like the one in a coop) - not exactly sure why it's called that. You can also put a pop door from one run into another, so that would let you control when the birds are in the current run, vs having access to current and secondary run space (or yard).

@aart's is the best explaination for the term I've heard.

To make things easy for you, you can rig your pop door between the runs the way this one is rigged so that you can open it from outside:

img_0503-jpg.2497638

Can you see how the rope runs over a couple hooks so that I opened it by pulling the ring? I know that photo isn't good enough to see the hook I hitched the ring to in order to keep it open.

I currently have 9 chicks who are about 6 weeks old. I have a 4x10 coop for them and a covered run that is 4x8. I put a lot of work in predator proofing the run. I live in CO in a residential area outside of town. I am working on putting the privacy fence on my 1/2 acre property back together to make supervised free range time less terrifying. We have numerous hawks in the area. I realize the covered run will not be enough space in the long run but im working with what I have for now as the costs of starting as a chicken tender are higher than I budgeted for.

I am wondering what else to do. I was considering adding more space with the T posts and wire fencing I already have. It would not be nearly as predator proofed as my covered run. I could convince myself to maybe put some hardware cloth around the existing fence but it would feel kind of dumb to cut a whole in the more predator proofed run to allow them to come and go because I fear it would allow whatever might enter the extra space to enter my more highly guarded run….. ugh. Does anyone have thoughts? I would also consider adding more like a large dog kennel which would be sturdier.

Ive added a photo of the coop and run. Note this was before I added the hardware cloth to the wood and dug a 1 ft trench and buried hardwire cloth.

Back
Top Bottom