Run design--flooring and sand?

ChickenMathLady

Songster
May 26, 2020
Metro Detroit
Hi Chicken peeps,

So, from what I am reading I want to do sand in our run for at least the summer. I know I'm supposed to bury the hardware cloth around the perimeter of the run or do a skirt with it around the run but what about the floor? Do I leave the floor dirt and put the sand on top? Couldn't something burrow from further than 1 foot out in that case?

Or, do I bury the hardware cloth as a "floor" and put the sand on top of that?

I'm seeing people suggest adding a hay/straw layer in the winter for a colder climate for warmth and insulation but otherwise like the idea of sand and PDZ/zeolite.

Another note, this is my local landscaping supply's sand website: http://www.daleslandscaping.com/products/bulk-bag-material/sands-soils/ Would I want their Mason Sand? 2NS looks like the right texture but not sure if it would be too sharp for the chickies feet?

HC around the outside perimeter for 2 feet, NOT inside the run/coop. Chickens dig/scratch and unless you bury that wiring over a foot deep and pile dirt back on top of it, a chick could get hurt.

Pine shavings are your friend, along with a mix of anything else like short grass clippings, leaves, straw (not too much straw from what I've read). They will absorb the moisture of the poop and help break down things so you have a compost and little to no smell.

I'm going to let others comment on the sand for a run, as I personally don't know enough to write a response. But I just think about the 4 cat litter boxes I have in the house and all the scrapping I do to keep them clean and the chickens poop 20x more. Just doesn't seem like something I'd want to rake out all the time.

Do I leave the floor dirt and put the sand on top?
Yes, and you'd need something to hold the sand from washing/leaking out the side of run walls.
...but...I'd advise against sand in the run.

Couldn't something burrow from further than 1 foot out in that case?
18-24" would be better.
The idea of an apron is that preds dig at the base of the run wall hit the mesh and move over to try another spot.
They won't back up to find the edge of the mesh.
Good examples of anti-dig apron installation.
If rodents are prolific, burying the apron ~12" would be good.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wire-around-coop.1110498/#post-17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture
-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).
There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.
That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 5 years.

That makes sense about the hardware cloth, I have plenty so 2 feet is no problem. It will probably be one foot on the one side that's closest to my garage but I'm planning on brick pavers on top of it for that side.

Where does one find ramial woodchips?

I'm planning on brick pavers on top of it for that side.
Pavers over apron is redundant and can null the function of the apron.
Is run wall 12" from garage wall?

Where does one find ramial woodchips?
Tree trimmers can dump a big load if you have the space to store them.
Sometimes municipalities have piles you can gather from.

Where we have it at the moment is only about 8 inches from the wall. That's not a set in stone location though and we're trying to figure out the best spot. We were thinking about shade locations as the trees we have are too close to the lot line of our neighbors for the city ordinance.

Pavers over apron is redundant and can null the function of the apron.
Is run wall 12" from garage wall?

Tree trimmers can dump a big load if you have the space to store them.
Sometimes municipalities have piles you can gather from.

We've gotten a chipdrop before. Does it matter what kind of wood if you get a chipped load?

We've gotten a chipdrop before. Does it matter what kind of wood if you get a chipped load?

Chipdrop is perfect for this. Only wood I'd completely avoid is black walnut. Would avoid cedar (or at least large amounts of it), especially the aromatic eastern kind, if you cannot let it sit and air out for a while to let some of the aromatic oils dissipate.

Where we have it at the moment is only about 8 inches from the wall. That's not a set in stone location though and we're trying to figure out the best spot. We were thinking about shade locations as the trees we have are too close to the lot line of our neighbors for the city ordinance.
Yeah, you want to leave enough space between building for maintenance of both buildings and airflow.

Might want to add these slowly in thin layers to the run as they are usually freshly cut green wood and full of leaves in summer so very wet, which can create mold blooms. Scrape outer layers off pile to add to run and add some dry plant matter(straw, dried grass clippings, etc) to help dry out chips.

Back
Top Bottom