Run floor advice...

kmhudson3

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2018
New York
Coop being delivered in a month(see pic) Want to do a boxed out item 4 pad for it. Any problems with having an item 4 floor in the run? Planned on adding dirt and other goodies for them to scratch around in.
Making it 4" thick with a layer of gravel underneath for drainage as well as a deep layer of chain link as a predator barrier. Thoughts or issues you see with an item 4 floor??? Thanks everyone!!!

quaker coop.jpg

Last edited:
We use hardware cloth on the floor of our run covered by both dirt and sand. It is attached to the hardware cloth that makes up the sides also. This keeps digging predators out.
I like the coop you chose!
Thanks!! We are excited!! How deep is the hardware cloth? No concerns with them tearing up their nails or feet?

I would use the hardware cloth 1/4" squares for the sides and the floor of the coop. Chain link still lets some predators through. Happy to hear your run will be covered! That will be so nice and you will appreciate it further down the road. Our run is tall enough for me to stand up in which makes things so much easier. What are your plans for food and water? I have used/been through many trial and error issues that have come up over the years so I will be more than happy to help should you need some input. Whatever way you do things always remember to make it the best for what works for you. :thumbsup

Yeah Going to make it hardware cloth. Right now Just a hanging feeder & waterer from TSC. Waterer has the nipples with small red cups. Will def have to come up with a plan for next winter. I’m in southern NY so we get some nasty winters. Thanks!!

What is this, I've never heard of it.

I would put an 18" - 24" 1/2 x 1/2 hardware cloth or 1 x 2 welder wire apron around the whole coop and run instead of in the run floor. This will keep your digging predators out.
Thanks! Realized item 4 is a NY thing. It's a mixture of crushed stone no bigger than 3/4" and stone dust. Water it down then tamp it can and it can be as hard as concrete.
Was then going to put a layer of dirt/sand for them to scratch in.

IMHO, if you do that, your gonna have a smelly mess, unless you want to scoop poop every day or two. Poop,dirt and sand will eventually become a solid mess.

If it was my set up, I would do a deep litter style, 4 - 6 inches deep and start on the ground, not item 4.

For your waterer, use a five gallon bucket, gamma lid and horizontal nipples. In the winter put a stock tank deicer in the bucket and you will be good, if you can get electric to your coop. The gamma lid screws on and off, it makes checking and filling your waterer easy. Just leave it 1/4 turn loose so the water will come out of the nipples. For the deicer cord, I drilled a 2" hole in the lid and used this desk grommet and rubber grommet(cut to go around the cord)
20171107_200240.jpg
20171107_200127.jpg

Back
Top Bottom