Run ground??

Abs5648

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2021
First time chicken owner and I think I’m messing up?
I got a lot of topsoil- 50%half purple cow + 50%aged chicken manure for my raised beds. I had sooo much left over, the farmer I got from said it was fine to use in my run. I’ve been cleaning & scooping out the soil every week (sometimes twice a week). I use first Saturday lime for bugs and that was going great the first few weeks, but now there are SO many bugs. After digging and scooping this past week, I found lots of maggots🤢 Should I be using something different in the run?

:welcome :frow I don't use anything but I have a lot of pens. My pens are sand. The birds scratch around. I do give them treats frequently and they scratch around so I don't have to worry about cleaning them. The birds do that work for me. Some people do put down wood chips, sand, leaves, etc. Good luck and have fun...
IMG_20180503_094047.jpg

First time chicken owner and I think I’m messing up?
I got a lot of topsoil- 50%half purple cow + 50%aged chicken manure for my raised beds. I had sooo much left over, the farmer I got from said it was fine to use in my run. I’ve been cleaning & scooping out the soil every week (sometimes twice a week). I use first Saturday lime for bugs and that was going great the first few weeks, but now there are SO many bugs. After digging and scooping this past week, I found lots of maggots🤢 Should I be using something different in the run?
You are not using topsoil for the run, you are using composted manure. That is not a good run litter.
I would remove as much as possible and put down a layer of wood chips, about 3-4" thick.
Does your run have good drainage? Does it have a solid roof over it?

You are not using topsoil for the run, you are using composted manure. That is not a good run litter.
I would remove as much as possible and put down a layer of wood chips, about 3-4" thick.
Does your run have good drainage? Does it have a solid roof over it?
Thank you!!!

Solid roof, yes. I’d say it has pretty good drainage. Any particular brand of wood chips? I read not to do mulch? Should I still be cleaning out every week then?

Thank you!!!

Solid roof, yes. I’d say it has pretty good drainage. Any particular brand of wood chips? I read not to do mulch? Should I still be cleaning out every week then?
I just use the wood chips that I get from the local Highway department. If you live in an area where branches are collected curbside, they are generally then chipped up and put in huge piles for the taxpayers to take. Try contacting the local Highway departments in your area or just drive to their locations and see what's there. Where I live I have access to three different locations where I can get wood chips for free by the truckload.
IMG_20200521_174725536.jpg

Welcome to BYC.

@DobieLover has given you excellent advice.

Bugs in the run are fine -- the chickens will eat them -- but the finished compost that's gold for your garden won't do the job of making compost from the chicken manure.

If you can't get municipal chips (I can't), you might be able to get them from a tree-trimming service -- though you have to have a place where they can dump an entire truckload.

Alternately, you can use any dry organic material that is locally available -- even mulch (only if it's the plain, undyed kind). Where, in general, are you located? Here in the southeast I have pine straw available free for the raking in my yard or readily available to buy at a low price. Other places have other materials.

Straw isn't the best option used by itself because it tends to pack and mat, but if you can mix it with wood chips, dry leaves, and other materials it works fine. Wood shavings are readily available, but even the coarse flake shavings are finer than optimal for the run. If you can't get chips mixing shavings with straw is worth a try (but you might have to get in there with a fork and flip it around if it mats down).

Back
Top Bottom