Run ideas

pattyjean73

Songster
10 Years
Apr 13, 2009
NW Arkansas
We do not own our home, we rent. I'm looking for ideas for a semi-portable run. Once it's set we won't be moving it around or anything. But since it's not our property I don't want to build a permanent fixture. My question is:

Does anyone have ideas on how to construct a good sized run that would be stable, secure, and sturdy to keep the chickens in and predators out but would still be somewhat easy to tear down in case we ever have to move?

More specifically, most bury fencing under the frame of the run to keep digging animals at bay. I want to prevent the digging but don't want to dig huge ruts on my landlord's land. Nor do I want to spend a great deal of money to do this.

For the fencing part of the run I plan to use either dog kennel frames with 1/2x1" 16 gauge wire or build the panels with 2x4s. Same frame work for the top. Secured with screws that can easily be taken apart later if need be. Easy to expand and easy to move. Win Win. But I can't seem to figure out a digging preventing system.

LOL... I know, lots of restrictions here. Any ideas?

I built one out of Chainlink fence just did nt cement post in the ground. I had TALL post and the set fine already moved it once and it wasnt to bad. I put chicken wire around the bottom couple of feet on the outside of the fence and bent the edge down on top of the grass. Also covered the top with coated fence it was not as heavy and stays in place good. I scrounged all the stuff I needed so it only cost me some time. old tent stakes hold the wire down pretty good. jeff
big_smile.png

We rented for a couple of years. I had 10' x 10' chain link a dog run I purchased at home depot. To keep the dogs from digging under I bought 18" tall - 2x4 wire grid garden fence and made a skirt that started 6" up the chain link kennel and folded out at the ground. It continued out 12" on the surface of the ground. I cut the last wire off so there was a 4" wire sticking out every 2" bend these and pushed them in the ground.

The dogs wanted to dig under but always started at the bottom of the chain link where the kennel fence met the ground. The 2 x 4 wire stopped them. If they backed up a couple of inches there was still plenty of 2x4 wire to stop them.

I had the grid on the inside of the kennel to the dogs in, but I could just as easily put it on the outside to keep them out. I didn't want a full wire floor so they would have a place to lay straight on the grass.

The grass grew up through the wire so that it was not noticeable in a few weeks.

What they said
smile.png

I'd make the apron of wire lying on the ground at least 2' wide and of something reasonably heavy gauge like 2x4 welded wire, not chickenwire. Make sure to attach it well to the bottom of the run fence.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom