Run in the winter

AngelaB

Songster
8 Years
Sep 4, 2011
Michigan
Forgive me if this has been asked before....

Does anyone cover thier run in the winter? I only have 4 chickens, and 3 LOVE to be outside. They even prefer to sleep outside, which on colder nights I go out and carry them into the coop. The coop and run are really sheltered by a huge maple tree. However, in the winter with no leaves on the tree, the snow with hit the run. I am thinking of covering the top and a couple sides, where the wind comes from that direction. Anyone else do this? That way on days it's not TOO frigid, they can go outside.

If you don't cover at least part of the run, then you have to shovel it when the snow is too deep, so the chickens can get out. Just make sure the roof can hold up to the snow load. You don't want the chickens to be under it, if it collapses.

I shoveled for many years and that works. Now we have the run mostly covered and often all of it during winter. I usually only need to shovel after a blizzard, where the snow has been blowing sideways. I wish we would have done it sooner!

Covering some of the sides blocks the wind so it's nicer in the run on the windy winter days. It would also keep snow from blowing in from the side, too. You should still allow some ventilation, though, so excess humidity can escape, as well as allowing some fresh air in. As long as you don't cover every inch of it, you should be okay.

I've been thinking about covering the sides of my run at the end next to the coop this year.

Where they come out of the coop is covered my our shed's roof over hang. The coop and shed are right next to eachother, so that part won't get snow. So, I won't have to shovel that area. There really isn't a way to shovel, for me without killing my back. You can't stand all the way up in the run. They come out of the coop on the back, you can't see that in the picture. The pen now have a cover, this pic is from the summer when we first put it up.

Last edited:
This is what it looks like. The shed is on the other side of the coop, you can't see it in the picture. There is a wood pile on the other side of the run, so that is protected too.

105605_012.jpg

If you don't want them sleeping outside, lock them in the coop for at least a solid week - possibly two. Don't let them out in the yard. They'll need to eat, sleep, scratch around in there the whole time. This gives them the idea of where they're supposed to be at night.

I spoke with my husband, and he said we can't cover it. The weight of the snow will bend it. Oh well, I guess if there is lot of snow, they won't go out.

I might wrap w ith the clear plastic to block wind though on the sides.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom