Run: roof or no roof

bluphnx

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2018
I am planning on building a coop/run on the north side of my house in Utah. Should I build a roof on the run to block some of the snow? Or should I leave it open to let in more sunlight? See example pics. Thanks!

Attachments

• 7BAD017B-2932-48BB-B18A-709643D7B988.jpeg
    7BAD017B-2932-48BB-B18A-709643D7B988.jpeg
    427.2 KB · Views: 202
  • 16666645-B4EE-4BD1-B0A9-65B80098DA73.jpeg
    16666645-B4EE-4BD1-B0A9-65B80098DA73.jpeg
    578.2 KB · Views: 115
A roof is good, but if you want more light, you have 2 separate solutions.
Use clear fiberglass panels for roof. Kind of pricey but last a long time.
Second option is to use a tarp during snow season. If you use the light blue, or green tarps, they are translucent to a degree, and it does not darken the run all that much. Tarps will last about a year or more, but are low priced. The more expensive 9 mil tarps will last about 3 years, but do not let very much light thru. The heavy Vinyl tarps like used on trucks transporting goods, will last 10 years or more, but do not let very much light thru. They also cost significantly more. At that rate, you may find the fiberglass panels more within reasonable price comparison.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

North side of your house? Will it be exposed to the sun in Winter? Lets hope so.

In addition to shelter from sun, rain and snow, a roof also offers protection from predators. Hawks, owls and climbing varmints like coons, etc. A covered run can be made predator proof. An open run is.....well.....open. From a predators standpoint.....open for business!

North side of your house? Will it be exposed to the sun in Winter? Lets hope so.

In addition to shelter from sun, rain and snow, a roof also offers protection from predators. Hawks, owls and climbing varmints like coons, etc. A covered run can be made predator proof. An open run is.....well.....open. From a predators standpoint.....open for business!

x2 That's why I like a cover over the run...keeps those predators out!

Roofed run is good, protects the flock from predators, less messy muddy run and clean eggs(chicken feet are not muddy). I roofed half of my run thinking should be enough for dry feeders and shelter when they’re out and about but the last few years the wet winter was horrible on the beddings. Decided to roof the entire run, it was much better and safer.
58C92672-3312-4D5D-B54B-AC420E7F4843.jpeg

I agree with the others. I haven't seen much snow, only when I was overseas for a short while, but that stuff doesn't stay all white and frozen. The last thing you would need would be a chook-poo and bedding slushy for the girls to walk on.
My runs are covered in mesh and a bit of shadecloth, but I'm in hades, hot, very little rain and as dry as a bone. Anywhere with rain or snow, I'd have a cover up yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom