Run size for 8 chickens.

labradoodlemama

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 2, 2014
Cumberland County PA
I'm very new at this. I have two 4 wk old chickens and six babies coming next week. I will not be putting them together for a while, but I wanted to know if a run 12x12 will be large enough? I was going to have it made larger in a L shape, but after pricing welded wire and hardware mesh today I decided to have it made smaller. I thought I would put 1/2" hardware mesh along the bottom but I'm not sure what size welded wire for sides and top. It has to be 7 1/2' - 8' high because of shed door. I'm going to have windows cut in the shed (old shed my husband had built years ago) Should I put 1/4" or 1/2" hardware mesh on windows? Also the shed has a brick floor. Would it me best to put plywood on top of the brick?

6 chickens at 10sf per bird= 60sf,12x12 is 144sf so it will be plenty big, the smaller the wire wholes are the better, hardware cloth along the bottom and over the windows is perfect just make sure you use screws with fender washers to secure it over the windows, the bricks are fine and will prevent anything digging in I would put a thick layer of shavings probably 5 or 6 inches deep so they can scratch around.

Look there - you have room for six more chickens, that means you need to get at least 12 more
gig.gif

Last edited:
Thought I would update what you said about 12 chickens.....picked up my six chicks Thursday, back on Friday got 4 more. Now total is 12!!!! LOL What was I thinking. I just could not stop myself. Like they say they are like potato chips!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom