Runaway chicken - what to do?

PossumLiving

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 16, 2012
Spartanburg, SC
We've had a hen for a couple of years now and she is definitely a survivor. She's also pretty crafty. After any attack on the coop, she will make a nest elsewhere - in the wood pile, under the recycle bin, etc. She also must think that anywhere but the coop is safer, so she'll roost all over the place too. Last week, we had a bad fox attack and her bosom buddy was killed, probably sparking her to run away. A few days ago, she disappeared in the middle of the day and she wasn't in her usual hiding places. About 48 hours later she returns on her own. A few patches of feathers gone (no injuries). Then, a few hours later, she disappears again. We haven't seen her in 3 days now.

My theory is that she is looking for somewhere safer to live. That, or she is making a nest elsewhere and decided to get broody (which she has never been before). That might explain the missing feathers? (molting) I miss her and worry that she'll be attacked while she's away. What can I do to get her back, if she's still alive? Any tracking methods you can share? Would "lost" posters be over-the-top? Not knowing if she is dead or alive is driving me crazy. Any help?

sounds like you need a fully enclosed predator proof enclosure. chickens like to feel safe, if they don't then they will go where they think it will be safer. it is possible that she has one off to be broody but if she has you are right she will be a siting duck, especially if she does have chicks. given that her buddy was killed she will be frightened and stressed . when you see her next try to catch her and keep her somewhere safe

Back
Top Bottom