Runner Duck Behaviour

Joept87

Hatching
Jul 23, 2017
Hi all!

I am a very proud owner of 2 female runners who are now 8 weeks old. Our runners seem very tame, are regularly handled, and often come inside the house to sit with us (by choice).

Recently, we have noticed that one of the girls sometimes does a very tense shake, then 'pounces' with just her beak at our hand when we go to stroke her. The interesting thing is that she doesn't try and peck our hand, she aims over it and behind it, as if to pull our hand down or towards her. I wondered if anyone knew what this behaviour was? She doesn't seem scared as she stays sat where she is throughout.

Would be great to hear your thoughts! Thanks!

Joe

Hi all!

I am a very proud owner of 2 female runners who are now 8 weeks old. Our runners seem very tame, are regularly handled, and often come inside the house to sit with us (by choice).

Recently, we have noticed that one of the girls sometimes does a very tense shake, then 'pounces' with just her beak at our hand when we go to stroke her. The interesting thing is that she doesn't try and peck our hand, she aims over it and behind it, as if to pull our hand down or towards her. I wondered if anyone knew what this behaviour was? She doesn't seem scared as she stays sat where she is throughout.

Would be great to hear your thoughts! Thanks!

Joe

Our Welsh Harlequin started doing that after she hatched out some babies. We refer to it as "snaking" lol. She did it whenever she decided that we were too close to her babies. The duck that would follow me around in the garden eating worms out of my hand turned into something kinda scary when she became a MOM. ;-)

Here's a video of her doing it:

Maybe your duck doesn't like something you are doing? Are you trying to pet her head like you would a dog or cat? Mine will not tolerate that.

Thanks for your replies! I will see if I can get a video of it uploaded so you can see it.

It is when we go to stroke her beak of her breast. Sometimes she seems to enjoy it and it makes her close her eyes and relax, other times she responds with this 'snaking' behaviour. It certainly seems aggressive, but I was really curious about why she isn't pecking our hands, but pouncing her beak over it and using her neck? I wondered if this is a common form of aggression as I couldn't find any similar behaviour when researching.

Thanks again!

Here are our girls enjoying some TV time this evening! No 'snaking' this evening!hehe :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170724-203012.png
    Screenshot_20170724-203012.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom