*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

someone please help I don't know what to do I have 8 baby ducks 1 was jerking its neck back and forth so I thought it was choking or something (turns out it wasn't choking) but I put it along with the rest of the baby ducks in the bathtub with its food and water they ate they drank so I put them back and now ALL of them are jerking their necks side to side. are they ok? is it something in the food? any information will be greatly appreciated!!!

someone please help I don't know what to do I have 8 baby ducks 1 was jerking its neck back and forth so I thought it was choking or something (turns out it wasn't choking) but I put it along with the rest of the baby ducks in the bathtub with its food and water they ate they drank so I put them back and now ALL of them are jerking their necks side to side. are they ok? is it something in the food? any information will be greatly appreciated!!!
I also noticed my baby ducks doing this and thought they were choking. I tried to make sure they are getting their water because I know they need water to help them swallow. I'm not sure this is why they were appearing to be choking but as they are growing I see it happens less. Maybe it's normal? I am also interested in getting help with this.

I also noticed my baby ducks doing this and thought they were choking. I tried to make sure they are getting their water because I know they need water to help them swallow. I'm not sure this is why they were appearing to be choking but as they are growing I see it happens less. Maybe it's normal? I am also interested in getting help with this.
Ducks will open their bills wide and flex their necks a bit from time to time. It seems to be something they do more when they are just out of the swim pan or bathtub, so I wonder if it may be just trying to get water out of their ears.

Ducks will open their bills wide and flex their necks a bit from time to time.  It seems to be something they do more when they are just out of the swim pan or bathtub, so I wonder if it may be just trying to get water out of their ears.
Yeah, my older runners do that all the time. The motion is more with bills closed and head moving back and forth, slightly upward, as if trying to swallow something too big. I think it just normal but don't recall my older runners doing this as ducklings

My adult ducks bob their heads and make a burping sound. They all do it, so I thought all ducks did this. Maybe not? Also, mine will rest their head on their puffed out chest. Is this normal? All my adults are male, 6 of them
idunno.gif

I just got my first Runner ducklings! Two little ducks, Athena and Artemis are the names decided on, although they could change in the next couple days. They're darlings! Been watching them all day playing, sleeping and preening themselves and all I do is AWWWWWWW. Ha ha

I just got my first Runner ducklings! Two little ducks, Athena and Artemis are the names decided on, although they could change in the next couple days. They're darlings! Been watching them all day playing, sleeping and preening themselves and all I do is AWWWWWWW. Ha ha

I though I posted a reply! Guess not. Anyways, I just wanted to say how cute your babies are!!!!!! So cuddly!

Is there anyone here southern WI/ northern IL/ Chicagoland with Holderread runners? I'm interested in adopting 2-4 as pets, bug eaters, and egg layers (if/when/while they are able to lay). This would be their forever home. They'd share the large run with my chickens unless there's drama, in which case they'd get their own run. They would also have safe and secure housing at night. Anyone?

I have a quick question. When do runners start to lay eggs? My runners are 5 1/2 months old and started mating toward the end of August. We do not have any eggs yet should I be worried about my female cuz they mate like rabbits. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom