*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

Picture
1f923.png
Little Feather. Almost 2 weeks old.
love.gif
I'm in love.

Hey Guys!

We are busy building our duck pen/coop and I know a lot of people say that Runners don't really 'need' a pool. They don't swim....they're land ducks... The folks I bought from (Beaupeep in BC Canada) said again today that they almost shouldn't get wet ( they are ducklings...that's different) But she really pushed not even having a pool.
But, I am already preparing a site for their pool, to irrigate my garden and it's a big reason why i got ducks.
Should i expect them not to go in the pool that I will have slaved over installing? Am I wasting my time? Or will they love it? There are 6 of them, and they do love going in the bath tub, so I feel like I have and know the answer but wanted to ask all you duck lovers as well!

Thanks in advance!

Hey Guys!

We are busy building our duck pen/coop and I know a lot of people say that Runners don't really 'need' a pool. They don't swim....they're land ducks... The folks I bought from (Beaupeep in BC Canada) said again today that they almost shouldn't get wet ( they are ducklings...that's different) But she really pushed not even having a pool.
But, I am already preparing a site for their pool, to irrigate my garden and it's a big reason why i got ducks.
Should i expect them not to go in the pool that I will have slaved over installing? Am I wasting my time? Or will they love it? There are 6 of them, and they do love going in the bath tub, so I feel like I have and know the answer but wanted to ask all you duck lovers as well!

Thanks in advance!
@BuckDucks My Runners love their pool and spend alot of time in it. So do give them the pool and sit back and watch they are so funny. I have even seen mine sleeping in their pool on top of the water so they really do like water.

How about some pics of your lil ones. We love pics.

Hey Guys!

Thanks in advance!
I have runner ducks. I have three pens. One has a kiddie pool. They all love the kiddie pool. They wade and look for food and it gets terribly dirty terribly quicky. It is my best breeding pool, as my girls won't get in a larger tank with the boys. They love to breed in the kiddy pool with 2-3 inches of water. I also use the pen for older ducklings as I know they won't drown in this shallow pool (I add exit bricks for them). However, it is my highest maintenance pool. I have to clean it out twice a week.

One pen has a Home Depot or Lowe's pool, in ground, black, about $99? The girls won't get in with the boys. The boys will hog it and stay in it and guard it from other boys. It is perfect for my boy pen. I made a drain in the bottom so it is easy to clean. The muck falls to the bottom, so I only have to clean it about once a week in summer, every two weeks in winter.

The third has a TSC large stock tank, 2' x 8'. It is the least favorite. I have it in the girl only section and they hardly ever get in. When I had boys in there, two of them claimed it and didn't let anyone else in. The other boys had a hard time getting a drink. I might turn it into an aquaculture tank and I might put in a Lowe's in-ground for the girls. In spite of lower use, it still needs to be changed weekly in summer and takes a lot of water.

I have runner ducks. I have three pens. One has a kiddie pool. They all love the kiddie pool. They wade and look for food and it gets terribly dirty terribly quicky. It is my best breeding pool, as my girls won't get in a larger tank with the boys. They love to breed in the kiddy pool with 2-3 inches of water. I also use the pen for older ducklings as I know they won't drown in this shallow pool (I add exit bricks for them). However, it is my highest maintenance pool. I have to clean it out twice a week.

One pen has a Home Depot or Lowe's pool, in ground, black, about $99? The girls won't get in with the boys. The boys will hog it and stay in it and guard it from other boys. It is perfect for my boy pen. I made a drain in the bottom so it is easy to clean. The muck falls to the bottom, so I only have to clean it about once a week in summer, every two weeks in winter.

The third has a TSC large stock tank, 2' x 8'. It is the least favorite. I have it in the girl only section and they hardly ever get in. When I had boys in there, two of them claimed it and didn't let anyone else in. The other boys had a hard time getting a drink. I might turn it into an aquaculture tank and I might put in a Lowe's in-ground for the girls. In spite of lower use, it still needs to be changed weekly in summer and takes a lot of water.
2X a week wow thats great. Mine are using a small kiddy pool right now because we have had to conserve water because of drought and my gosh 15 water fowl muck it up in about 2 hrs. I usually can only keep it for 2 days. And that is with adding alot of fresh water in the evening along with some ACV they are such messy characters. lol

Hey Guys!

Thanks in advance!
I have 5 runner ducks who will be 3 yrs old in aug. I am told they do not need swim water very much. Do not tell my ladies that. They have kiddie pools (down to one now). We are building them a nice pond. For both humans and ducks. They have a small ditch out back and they know it is there. They come ask me every day "Can we go out to ditch to play". They are in a large fenced in area by my kitchen door. They have run of flower and veggie garden. They keep looking at the pond and look back at me as if to ask "when will the big waters be done". I got sick so things were slowed down. There are the mates of Chloe who died last nov. Chloe lived in water. She had bone structure problems and aqua sized all the time. She did forage with the others but when she got tired she would get in the pool. I can't imagine being a duck and not having water.

These are my five girls. They have the sweetest personalities and are the best bug catchers. There is a long story about Chloe passing. One of the fawn/whites was the alpha but when Chloe got older (blues are 6mos younger) she showed signs of being alpha. They all seemed to sense that she wouldn't be with them long so it seemed they agreed to let her be alpha. It was so sad when she died. They mourned for four weeks. At first they didn't eat much. Would not go in the pool. Wouldn't go out of lot. At about two weeks they seemed to start back to normalcy. Then they had to go about business of choosing alpha. Finally at about four weeks they again choose Smoke the original one. They still seems to miss Chloe. Her closet friend still goes to the monkey grass plant she used to lay on. But life is going on. I just love my ducks. To ask family members, I have them spoiled.

These are my five girls. They have the sweetest personalities and are the best bug catchers. There is a long story about Chloe passing. One of the fawn/whites was the alpha but when Chloe got older (blues are 6mos younger) she showed signs of being alpha. They all seemed to sense that she wouldn't be with them long so it seemed they agreed to let her be alpha. It was so sad when she died. They mourned for four weeks. At first they didn't eat much. Would not go in the pool. Wouldn't go out of lot. At about two weeks they seemed to start back to normalcy. Then they had to go about business of choosing alpha. Finally at about four weeks they again choose Smoke the original one. They still seems to miss Chloe. Her closet friend still goes to the monkey grass plant she used to lay on. But life is going on. I just love my ducks. To ask family members, I have them spoiled.
Their beautiful and we can tell much loved. Very sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom