*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

I lost one of my LiL Runner girls yesterday and I am wanting to tell you all this so you can be prepared for something like this. I noticed Tuesday that My lil Runner was standing off by herself just not normal for Runners and when the rest of her flock went up the hill to the pool she didn't follow, I saw her standing by the water bucket but never saw her drink and never did see her eating which is very uncommon. So Wednesday with casportpony's help we ordered the stuff to begin tube feeding we're rural so no place here to buy the stuff. Anyway I ordered from Amazon using my 2 days shipping which was delivered on Friday. To late though for Lindy she died in my arms early afternoon yesterday. No outward symptoms at all physically as far as looking at her, but something was terribly wrong. I just want to encourage everyone to make sure your prepared for any type of medical issue, I have a lot of things in my med kit for my animals but I didn't have tube feeding things. Tube feeding may not have cured her but trying to syringe a sick duck is very hard on them and the person doing it and you just can't give them what they need.
I will try anything I can to help one of mine I just wasn't prepared for this.:hit
Lindy is behind Smudge in my Avatar.

I loved that duck RIP My sweet girl. :love

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I will keep you in my prayers for comfort and peace as you face the days ahead. Be thankful for the beautiful blessing she was to you and your ability to give her a place she was so very loved.

So looking for a bit of opinions and advice..I have a couple ducks laying in a corner of the coop. Do I need to keep the eggs in there to encourage broodiness or will she go on to that stage once she's laid so many? I'm worried about leaving them in cuz my chickens like to peck around in their coop while all are out free ranging and since she went back in to lay another egg yesterday while all were ranging I don't want to shut the coop up during this time. This would all be no problem except I have a rotten RIR that will peck at and break eggs if they set too long or she comes across one in yard. Oh and I'm pretty sure it's my mallard laying and not my runner, since the mallard was gorging on oyster shell yesterday.

I believe once she starts sitting they will be ok as the chickens won't go in even if one duck is in there. I'm also considering moving her to the shed for brooder area once she does, but not sure. Will depend on her really as she doesn't much care to be messed with now and I am sure that will be worse if she goes broody.

So do you think I should put some fake eggs or golf balls in there when I take eggs out or will she go broody without me leaving them, that is if she is actually going to. I have noticed since she's been laying that all the eggs are in one spot where before I would find them in all different places in coop.

Put fake eggs in that way if she does got broody you can replace them with the real ones. Not sure if golf balls would work for a duck. Worth a try. Mark your eggs so you can keep the freshest for sitting.

How do you get your ducks to eat grass? When I put in cut grass mine look at me reproachfully, asking where the peas are or where the salad is. I would like it if they would eat grass!!!
I think they started eating it because of the geese and decided they liked it.
I have 3 African Geese that I have raised with the ducks (so they'd all get along) and once the geese were large enough to roam the pen I would cut grass for them and put it in a tray of water. The geese LOVED it. Later the ducks starting digging in also. I guess the thought was that if the geese like it that much it must be good stuff.
You might try chopped kale or other greens (no lettuce, it has no food value) and see if there is something they like right now and you could start mixing in fresh cut grass.
I clip the grass with scissors from weedier areas around my garden. Mowed grass can be used if picked up immediately after mowing (and not too full of weeds). Mowed grass that has sat in the sun for any time is no good, makes great mulch but can't be safely fed to fowl.

Took the ducks to creek today...they loved it!
IMG_20170918_125610616.jpg
IMG_20170918_131234637.jpg

Back
Top Bottom