*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

When the ducks were little my husband bought me 3 dozen duck eggs to play with (at $9 a dozen! ack!) and the cakes and lemon curd I made were so luscious! I can't wait to be able to bake with my own! My chicken egg customers are begging for ducks eggs but I told them they'd have to wait until I'm tired of them :tongue

This is the mayo recipe I'm using (but I do it in a food processor). I culture it with whey strained from homemade yogurt. https://www.culturesforhealth.com/l...recipes/foolproof-lacto-fermented-mayonnaise/

Ohh I bet it will be fabulous with duck eggs.

How far/high do your Indian runners fly?
I have one that is extremely feisty. Once it took off and flew over the pond and 3 meters tall bamboo (also like 3 meters distance).
And just the other day, ducks came towards me, flapping their wings trying to be as fast as possible - some flew like 2 meters and stopped just beside me, but the energetic duck failed to calculate the distance and flew like 10 meters further. When it realized the error, she looked puzzled and it took some time for her to start quacking and go towards other ducks. :D

They don't fly often, but they like to spread their wings when there's a bit stronger wind. They fly a meter or so high if something scares them, or if they see me in the distance, walking away and if they feel like following me. Only sometimes they do it if I call them. More likely they run and fly towards my dogs when they hear them bark.

Sooo, how far do your indians fly? My duck (5 months old) holds record of 3 m high and 10m far. :) She feels very Olympic.

I had one fly over our 4' fence but she was up on the hill when she did it and thankfully hasn't done it since being as she'd never get back over from level ground.

Sounds like you do have an Olympic champ on your hands. lol

She's extremely funny. The high jump was like launching a rocket - she flapped ferociously and did the vertical take-off, then she flew over the bamboo and landed quite well (at first they all crash landed even if they just flew a few inches high, lol). The sound of her wings was very loud. I was shocked when I saw that maneuver.

PS it's the duck hen that also often chases crows and my dogs. That job is usually reserved for the drakes. Speaking of crows, lately they get along great and they just cleaned a freshly plowed field together.

That's hilarious my birds would never let a crow in their area.

Do your dogs mind the ducks chasing them? Always makes me nervous when someone says their ducks bully or chase their dogs. Since my dog grabbed my gander by the neck once , thankfully she didn't hurt him but she pulled out a ton of feathers.

They both retreat when (especially dominant drake) start charging at them. The younger dog is now 6 months old, which is just a bit over a month older than ducks. I started introducing them when he was like 2 months old. He will spot the charging duck and in the last second, jump away and playfully flee a few meters away. Sometimes he goes near them, just to taunt them. It happened a few times that he accidentally knocked the drake over, because he jumped into the direction where the drake charged. That just made the drake furious and he chased the dog for a while - long distance ☺️.
When ducks forage and the ducks get near me and my dogs, they sometimes ignore them (they forget to annoy them). If the dogs are doing something like hunting for voles, drake charges at them, but stops after he sees they don't respond and flee - he just turns away and continues foraging with his duck companions.

4 more hatched on Saturday. 2 brown and whites and 2 silvers, I'd been hoping for some silvers. They are the 4 on the left.
the-new-4.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom