*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

Cinnamon update: She is now a total pest. :weeShe is full of energy. She escapes from the bin and roams the house, so that when I return from work she has left me "gifts" all over the place.

I leave her in the bin when I fix dinner, but when I open the fridge she is suddenly behind me and I trip over her. She stands perfectly tall as she begs for frozen peas. Of course I give her a few! So she promptly repeats her perforance when I use the fridge again.
:love

When I pick her up, she fights me like crazy, breathing easily. What a joy it is to see her breathe so well and able to exercise... She wants to keep roaming! I am so happy with her progress! Thank you again to all those who suggested an operation...
:ya
Thanks for the update! So happy to hear she is better. :hugs

Hi, my names Rebecca and my husband and I are interested in starting a small farm with some ducks. We've been looking into the runner breed and I was hoping maybe someone here could help us out? What is the difference between the Indian runner ( which is what my husband is interested in) and other runner breeds?
All "Runner" ducks are the same breed, and are from Indonesia originally. They come in a wide assortment of colors and patterns. A well bred one should look like a bowling pin with legs. They can be nervous around people but are definitely the clowns of the barnyard. Most places (like Meyer, Cackle, Murray McMurray, etc) will have blacks, chocolates, blues, and fawn and white for sale. If you want something fancier like Emery Penciled (my favorite) you'll need to order from a place like Johnson's Waterfowl or get in touch with a breeder.

If you really want to get fancy you can try breeding some of the rarer colors.
I'm working on lavenders, lilacs and silvers. Here's one of my lavenders I managed to get last fall.
Lavender_runner.jpg

Here she is now. Her father is a Penciled runner, her mother is Cumberland Blue.
Since she is heterozygous for Runner Pattern gene she has the neck ring and white spots on her head. The lavender color is caused by sex-linked brown and 1 blue gene. This spring I'll separate my Blue drake with some blue ducks and see if I can get some silvers.
So far "blue boy" has not been doing his job and has leaving all the fun to the Penciled drake, whom I call "Randy", because he is.
lavender_adult.jpg

Here she is now. Her father is a Penciled runner, her mother is Cumberland Blue.
Since she is heterozygous for Runner Pattern gene she has the neck ring and white spots on her head. The lavender color is caused by sex-linked brown and 1 blue gene. This spring I'll separate my Blue drake with some blue ducks and see if I can get some silvers.
So far "blue boy" has not been doing his job and has leaving all the fun to the Penciled drake, whom I call "Randy", because he is.
View attachment 1240041
She's so cute.

Back
Top Bottom