runner duck eggs and broody

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ameraucanacrazy, Oct 4, 2009.

1. ameraucanacrazy

ameraucanacrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2009
    macon,ga
    i have 6 female runnerducks and 1 male they layed 6 eggs in january and then stoped. why they are about 2 years old and they still are not laying eggs

why is this

and do runners go broody

2. txredneckmedic

txredneckmedic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    are u feeding them oyster shell?

3. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

maybe they are laying somewhere and you haven't seen?

Runners aren't known for going broody. Doesn't mean they won't, it's just not common for them to do so.

4. ameraucanacrazy

Feb 11, 2009
    macon,ga
    i only feed them cracked corn and i have searched the pen and their are no eggs and they are not alowed out in the yard

5. rainplace

well that could be the problem right there... malnourishment.

6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Feeding ducks cracked corn and nothing else is like feeding your kids candy and nothing else. They might survive to adulthood, but they're not likely to do well. Corn is basically sugar and not much else. Quick as you can, get down to your feed & seed store and buy some chicken layer pellets. You will probably have to take the corn away altogether--they are not likely to want to switch over, any more than a kid who was raised on candy would want to switch to green beans and roast pork. But get them hungry enough and they'll do it eventually.

They may never lay. Malnourishment can cause permanent damage. But you might get lucky and the improved diet may cause them to start laying again. I sure hope so!

And don't beat yourself up--we all make mistakes. That's what we come here for--so we can correct each other's mistakes! [​IMG] Your ducks will be much happier & healthier with your new knowledge (once they get over withdrawal from the corn!!).

Good luck!

7. rainplace

Thank you, Cat, for finishing up! I got a phone call and forgot to come back and say something more.

8. ameraucanacrazy

Feb 11, 2009
    macon,ga
    thank you very much

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by