Runner Duck Hatch-a-Long! 2021

Awww. That's sad!
It does not look shrinkwrapped, no. The white membrane is normal. Just keep the humidity around 70%, and monitor it. Can you see much through the menbrane? Blood vessels or anything?
I have the humidity at 73%
I can see a few veins in the membrane so I know it’s not ready yet. I did see a chewing motion as well once, which I know is the duckling absorbing the veins and yolk.

That’s amazing that it’s still alive! I’m hoping he makes it.

I still only have one out, the other 6 are all still working on it. Are they like chicks and can be left in the incubator or should I move it to the brooder before I go to bed? Im trying to search the old posts but I may not have the right wording!

I still only have one out, the other 6 are all still working on it. Are they like chicks and can be left in the incubator or should I move it to the brooder before I go to bed? Im trying to search the old posts but I may not have the right wording!
I left my first guy in the incubator overnight. He hatched around 3-4pm and I left him in to dry and regain some strength, he was very very tired and I didn't want him nodding off in the water dish. Then I took him out at about 7am this morning.
I also researched this and it said you can leave ducklings in for up to 24 hours.
Last year I had a duckling hatch that was just zooming around shortly after hatching so he came out very shortly after.
So maybe depends on your duckling too!

oh, but also watch your humidity if you take this one out. You dont want it to get too low if others are pipped and trying to get out.
I'm sure just quickly getting the duckling out wont hurt much, but just wanted to say that just incase!

I have the humidity at 73%
I can see a few veins in the membrane so I know it’s not ready yet. I did see a chewing motion as well once, which I know is the duckling absorbing the veins and yolk.
Perfect.
Yup, he's not ready if he's still yawning.

It would be best to take them out tonight. They can be left in longer, but they'll start pooping on everything, and getting rowdy. It's your choice, but personally I'd move them.

Thank you. This is so stressful. I saw your other post, you found another ducking for your guy?
I did. I was worried about him and thought the rest of the eggs weren’t going to make it (fingers crossed so tightly this last one makes it). He only wanted someone to be right near him or hold him and would peep so loud and jump to try to get out of the brooder when we would put him back.
I didn’t want to raise a single duck, they need friends. so I panicked thinking this guy was going to hurt himself or stress himself to death so I ended up finding someone in the area who was selling duckings and bought him two friends.
He’s now content, eating and drinking, and they are all happy together

The last egg didn’t make it @MGG :(
The white membrane was pretty tight to it in places, I couldn’t even peel it away. is that shrink wrapping even though the membrane was white?
Just curious for next time.
The duckling wasn’t ready to come out though, I could still see some large veins and yolk, so I don’t think there could have been much else I could have done.

Thank you for your help.

I went down to take the duckling out last night and found that another had hatched so I left him in, they were snuggling. Checked in them this am to fine 2 more. 3 pekin eggs (one black and yellow, 2 yellow) and one BR egg (yellow). I have 2 more BR and one Pekin left in the bator.
CE0CC352-7921-4E79-AF6A-688E3CE6BA81.jpeg 07DC7696-AEFA-4E1B-B261-E88A5F0FE54A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom