Runner Duck Hatch-a-Long! 2021

Pics
thanks! I needed to hear that!

how late are yours?
Most were 2 days late! Two were only 1 day late and my most special little guy was 3-4 days late! I don't know how you feel about assisting (it was scary at first) but it really improved what would've been a really poor hatch rate. Probably only one would've been born "naturally", but since I assisted (many were minorly malpositioned) 9/10 ducklings hatched! 90% hatch rate I am THRILLED!

Most were 2 days late! Two were only 1 day late and my most special little guy was 3-4 days late! I don't know how you feel about assisting (it was scary at first) but it really improved what would've been a really poor hatch rate. Probably only one would've been born "naturally", but since I assisted (many were minorly malpositioned) 9/10 ducklings hatched! 90% hatch rate I am THRILLED!
Oh I’m so glad they all made it!!
I assisted in a hatch last year, so I’m okay to do it again if need be.
I’m promising myself not to open the incubator during lockdown (unless I need to of course to assist). Last time I opened it way too much I think and I feel that was the reason most didn’t make it.
I’m almost to day 27. It officially starts at 11am, Iol
Nothing yet happening. a bit of wiggling from one egg but overall very silent in there!

I’ve got 20 Khaki Campbell eggs in the bator :weeSo exciting, watching babies hatch literally never gets old❤️
I haz questionsss, what humidity has given you the best hatchrate? I’ve been told that from day 1-25 it should be 50-55% and from day 25-28 it should be 70-75%? Also what humidity meters work for you? I’m afraid that my one may not be accurate.

I’ve got 20 Khaki Campbell eggs in the bator :weeSo exciting, watching babies hatch literally never gets old❤️
I haz questionsss, what humidity has given you the best hatchrate? I’ve been told that from day 1-25 it should be 50-55% and from day 25-28 it should be 70-75%? Also what humidity meters work for you? I’m afraid that my one may not be accurate.

This is my first duck hatch but that’s the information I read. I have mine on lockdown but can’t get the humidity over 60%, at least not consistently. I currently have two little hygrometers in there that I bought from amazon and they seem to read 1 or 2% from each other.

those readings sounds good.
I have a reptile hygrometer from the pet store and an Acurite weather one from Walmart. Neither are actually accurate but I salt tested them and adjust from there so I know where it’s at.

The first pip!

2452D1F5-28F5-4F00-B4CC-19BF037426E1.jpeg

just curious, what is the time frame before assisting with a hatch? is it 24 or 48 hours?

The duckling that externally pipped today still isn’t doing anything else. I know they take awhile and I’m prepared to sit and wait. but just want to know how long I wait until I may need to assist.

I can see one other egg pretty consistently wiggling around. no external pip.
The other three eggs have done nothing!

waiting is hard lol

just curious, what is the time frame before assisting with a hatch? is it 24 or 48 hours?

The duckling that externally pipped today still isn’t doing anything else. I know they take awhile and I’m prepared to sit and wait. but just want to know how long I wait until I may need to assist.

I can see one other egg pretty consistently wiggling around. no external pip.
The other three eggs have done nothing!

waiting is hard lol
it definitely takes a WHILE! I'm really NOT the expert on waiting, but I've heard it take 36-48 hours to begin zipping from the external pip, but then again you could see if there's decreased peeping, tapping sounds, and wiggling after 36 hours and then maybe gauge from there... As long as it can get the external pip, it can get air so its just resting and absorbing from there!

If you decide it is time to assist, follow the Pyxis guide:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

and follow MGG's tips they gave me during my hatch on pages 1 and 2 of this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sos-please-help-shrink-wrapped-duck-day-28.1453805/

how many eggs made it to lockdown?
thanks for the links!
I am worrying a lot. I haven’t heard any peeping at all. but my incubator is in the basement and I just run down there to check them and then I leave. but I feel like I should of heard some peeping.
I’m worried no one is alive in there anymore.

I have 5 eggs in the incubator. 1 has an external pip, one wiggles a lot, and the other 3 have been quite silent.

Back
Top Bottom