MolliMonster99

Songster
Jul 22, 2021
Hi everyone! My Runner duck Frances seems to be molting? He has a couple of bald spots on his wings and I can see he's got some new feathers starting to grow on the tips of his wings (you can see the feathers growing outwards). He seems to be losing more feathers than the others, but they all have a few areas that are bald/getting new feathers. I was wondering why they seem to be molting as it's only June? I'm in the UK if that helps.

The ducks have a pond and a large water tray. The water tray is meant for drinking but I find the ducks sitting in it often, whereas they don't really use the pond? I have been giving them brewer's yeast and these poultry spice pellet things that are meant to be good for feathers every day. Thanks in advance for your help!

When molting it’s good to give them some extra protein. It helps with feather growth. What is poultry spice never heard of it? I feed my birds some dry dog kibble and mealworms for extra protein. Just as a snack.

When molting it’s good to give them some extra protein. It helps with feather growth. What is poultry spice never heard of it? I feed my birds some dry dog kibble and mealworms for extra protein. Just as a snack.
Poultry spice contains turmeric, aniseed, ginger and a bunch of other things meant to keep poultry and waterfowl healthy. I used to feed my flock mealworms but then I learned that DEFRA (some environmental department of the government) made it illegal to feed livestock dried mealworms as most of the time the mealworms come from foreign countries and parasites could possibly still survive the drying process, so it could cause them to get sick. However, I literally only found out about this last week and my ducks have been losing some feathers for about 2-3 weeks I'd say? I wasn't sure if it was due to mating at first until I noticed their wings

IMG_20220627_124329709.jpg

His feathers sure look like they are in need of a good molt. I expect my Runners will start their molt soon their feathers are looking frumpy too
So this is just a normal molt? I was worried I was doing something to make his feathers come out, poor bubba. Is there anything I can do to help make his molt easier?

Just extra protein dog kibble would help. My birds love dry dog food as a treat. I've also been giving dried mealworms for many years and never had any problems with it. But protein is what feathers are made up of so extra protein helps.
I mean there is always a slim chance of external parasites but usually waterfowl don't have that much as long as they have water to bathe in. It's usually birds that are kept in horrid conditions.

Just extra protein dog kibble would help. My birds love dry dog food as a treat. I've also been giving dried mealworms for many years and never had any problems with it. But protein is what feathers are made up of so extra protein helps.
I mean there is always a slim chance of external parasites but usually waterfowl don't have that much as long as they have water to bathe in. It's usually birds that are kept in horrid conditions.
My ducks get fresh water every day and their bedding changed regularly. I'll definitely up their protein again. One of my other runners just got out of the pond and I can see she's molting too, they're all starting to look a bit scruffy actually!

Back
Top Bottom