runner duck with shaky legs. any ideas?

I have 4 Runners and 2 Cayugas. None of my Runners ever got shakey legs, but both my Cayugas have them, and they sit down a lot. They are not old enough to go outside yet, so I feed brewer's yeast, mealworms, fresh cut grass, flockraiser, and granite grit every day. I'm hoping my Cayugas grow out of it, too.

Also, what's the best way to introduce new ducklings to the flock? I have my Runners in their pen, they are about 1 1/2 months old, and I've been raising the Cayugas in their own large, open box - they are younger, about 4 weeks. Eventually they all need to live together, so I tried introducing them in the Runners' pen yesterday, and the Runners harassed them, pecked them, chased them...I finally had to add some extra fencing in the pen to separate the two groups. How long should I wait before letting them all be together...? :idunno

One of my 4-week old runners has very shaky legs too. I have been adding 100-150 mg of niacin to their water for a couple of days and it doesn't seem to be helping. I read somewhere that the shaky legs can cause deformations in the feet or lameness. Reading your experiences lessens the worrying, but I still want to help the little guy out.

He is the largest of four, which explains why his legs are having trouble holding him up! He also plops down more than the others. A few questions:

1. Do you think brewers yeast in the food is a better alternative to powdered niacin from a capsule in the water? I wonder if they will be able to consume more out of their food (a lot of their drinking water is not actually drank, but splashed everywhere)

2. I have them on 16% or 18% (can't remember and not at home) grower starter chick feed. Does anyone have experience cutting the protein percentage down by mixing wheat/oats/millet with their food? All details are appreciated!

3. Finally, I'm going to take their food away at night. I don't see any reason they should be eating 24 hrs a day... unless someone here disagrees?

Whew, that was a long one. Thanks for all the help!

I believe the should have food and water 24:7 while growing and that they should have 18% protein.

Clint

Last edited:
I add the niacin to their food. I use brewer's yeast (it's a powder). My reasoning is this: my ducks don't always drink all their water, but they ALWAYS eat all their food...so I know they're getting the niacin when I put it in their food.

My Cayugas seem to have grown out of their shakey legs at this point.

It's my belief they should have access to food and water 24/7...and definitely give them water with their food at all times so they can use the moisture to help them swallow. I'm raising mine in my garage in a large fenced-in pen with a house and a pool, for the time being (I'm moving them outside in a few weeks). I clean it out every night, and scoop out all the poop from the pen area every night. I feed them a big pan of un-medicated scratch, cob, flockraiser, game bird raiser, oyster shell, granite grit, and dried mealworms every morning and at night when I put them in their house for bed.

Wow, you must have some happy ducks!
smile.png
I will pick up some brewers yeast today, I'm sure they'll get more niacin that way rather than adding the capsule powder to their water like I have been. Blacksmithchic, how old are your ducklings and what brewers yeast to food ratio do you use (meaning like 1 tsp brewer's yeast per cup of food)?

Based on what everyone is saying, I think I'll leave their food and water at night. I worry though, because no matter how much water I leave them they seem to drink/dump all of it by the time I can refill... so they are left for a little while (not sure how long) with food but WITHOUT water. From my understanding, this can be dangerous due to risk of choking on the food or it expanding in their guts when they do have access to water. But it seems like no matter how much water they have, it isn't enough. Any advise? I am using a gallon waterer and two of the smaller ones, plus three bowls for headwashing. I am only able to refill twice a day, once in the morning, and once in the evening.

Quick update: the shakiness has become much less severe (only happens rarely and is not so out of control). Who knows if it was the niacin supplementation or if they just grew out of it. One of the little ones is at that stage where she's going through a growth spurt, and she has the shaky leg just a little tiny bit. I'm still continuing with the niacin supplementation, and bumped up the dosage when I noticed her trembling. Who knows
idunno.gif
But they seem to be doing just fine!
thumbsup.gif

We're can I buy Brewers yeast? One of my baby runners has shakie legs. And lays down a lot.. The others are just fine.

After searching every feed store and health food store in my local area, I bought a bag from Amazon. Who knew it would be so hard to find brewer's yeast!

I got the Thomas Labs brewer's yeast with garlic. I'm not so crazy about the garlic being in it, but it hasn't harmed anyone.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your baby.

We're can I buy Brewers yeast? One of my baby runners has shakie legs. And lays down a lot.. The others are just fine.

After searching every feed store and health food store in my local area, I bought a bag from Amazon. Who knew it would be so hard to find brewer's yeast!

I got the Thomas Labs brewer's yeast with garlic. I'm not so crazy about the garlic being in it, but it hasn't harmed anyone.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your baby.

Can't get brewers yeast in my area either, lol... I also got mine from Amazon... but I recommend the AniMed brand, better price for the amount too...

Mix 1 tblspn per cup of feed... good luck!

Back
Top Bottom