Runner laying eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by melissa508, Oct 29, 2009.

1. melissa508

melissa508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    ma
    I got a new chocolate runner female a couple of months ago, she has laid about 15 eggs already- She was in a run with 2 white runner males & a black muscovy male.
    Is it possible that the black muscovy could be the father of some of her eggs?.
    I know muscovy can rarely breed with other ducks, but I have heard it happens sometimes.

Also, the reason shes in with the white runners is she was the only high quality female runner i was able to get my hands on. I have never mixed runner colors, what color will i get from the choco f x white m matings?- im hoping NOT for fawn/white since I find that color boring.

2. Yes the Muscovy could fertilize your runner hens eggs, I'm not sure of the fertility rate, I would guess it would be about the same as most mating, it's just that the offspring would be sterile. I hope someone who knows better than I will answer this part of your question.

But I wanted to show you some pictures of my chocolate Runner hen and fawn and white runner drakes offspring. None of them looked like either of the parents. A lot were blue (I kept one of these for a while, very pretty) and I'm not sure what the others would have turned out to be as I sold them before they got their adult feathers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. melissa508

melissa508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    ma
    Thanks for the pics...i love that blue..that would be nice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by