1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Runner laying eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by melissa508, Oct 29, 2009.

1. melissa508

melissa508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    ma
    I got a new chocolate runner female a couple of months ago, she has laid about 15 eggs already- She was in a run with 2 white runner males & a black muscovy male.
    Is it possible that the black muscovy could be the father of some of her eggs?.
    I know muscovy can rarely breed with other ducks, but I have heard it happens sometimes.

Also, the reason shes in with the white runners is she was the only high quality female runner i was able to get my hands on. I have never mixed runner colors, what color will i get from the choco f x white m matings?- im hoping NOT for fawn/white since I find that color boring.

2. Yes the Muscovy could fertilize your runner hens eggs, I'm not sure of the fertility rate, I would guess it would be about the same as most mating, it's just that the offspring would be sterile. I hope someone who knows better than I will answer this part of your question.

But I wanted to show you some pictures of my chocolate Runner hen and fawn and white runner drakes offspring. None of them looked like either of the parents. A lot were blue (I kept one of these for a while, very pretty) and I'm not sure what the others would have turned out to be as I sold them before they got their adult feathers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. melissa508

melissa508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    ma
    Thanks for the pics...i love that blue..that would be nice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by