Runner with swollen toe!

fowlfriends

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 12, 2007
Battle Ground, Wa
My Fawn and White Indian Runner duck has a very, very swollen toe. I think it may be broken, but cannot feel a break. It also felt like it had fluid in it, and (perhaps foolishly) I poked it with a tiny needle to see if I could relieve pressure, but only got a small amount of blood. So today I plan to stop at the feed store and get her some antibiotics but have no experience with this and am concerned.

Anyone out there have a suggestion for what antibiotics to use? - I am pretty certain she needs them because the swelling just does not seem right, even if the toe is broken. Also I am going to be keeping her locked up in the chicken coop during the day, since the darn thing insists she can still run! even with a limp, and I would hate to see her injure herself more.

Thanks!

hmm, so I've been looking around, and it appears she has Bumblefoot. Anybody dealt with this before? All of the info I have found on the internet is for chickens, and I know ducks are more sensitive to medications...

You might want to call a vet, see what they say...or a local 4 H group...maybe even the co-op near you. I have no idea what to do with a duck! Mine free roam...no problems yet, altho....I will have Muscovy babies for sale...SOON!! Anyone?? PLEASE!?!? Lat I counted there were 21 in there...OH MY!
ep.gif

yes, I suppose a call to the Vet is in order. Mine all free range as well, on 6 acres. But I have some brush, and rather than live life in leisure on all of our grass, the silly birds will tromp through the brush too - and I can only assume she got a thorn or cut of some kind.

The feed stores around here are not knowledgeable about waterfowl - here's hoping I have better luck with the Vet!

Oh, not that I need any, but what colors are your muscovies?

My Male is mostly black, with a white head...and the little female is the same. They are soo pretty. These are the only two that hung around this spring to hatch out eggs. The other 4 have " flown the coop" Oh, I know where they are, and they are also setting clutches of eggs. So, they can stay there! LOL Im sure when they are older, the mom will try to bring the babies "home" Here is a pic I just took of them today. want ONE?? Or....TWO?? LOL

MuscovyPair07.jpg

I will try to get a better one later...IF they let me!

ok, they went for a dip in the pond, and are warming in the sun....here are the pair of Covy Ducks.... Left is Mrs Thang....right is Salty.

SaltyMrsThang07.jpg

Here is one of the 3 boys together....but 2 of them "flew the coop"

3CovyMales.jpg

Top right is Salty..he is still here...Middle is pepper...gone..and bottom is Elvis...gone. Im sure they will come home, when they eggs hatch. They visit once in a while.

Back
Top Bottom