running extension cords to coops

BTW, look into solar shed lights. I have been looking at them for the last 20 mins online and I am going for one of those!
smile.png

~Cherlyn

Quote:
I dnot have one (yet!) but from what I am seeing, there are several out there that are light enough. Not light enough to do woodworking or stuff that requires great attention to detail, but that is fine by me! I just need a little bit of light to keep them laying, and to see the nesting boxes.
big_smile.png

Yay, one problem down for me!

~Cherlyn

Quote:
I've heard they are. There are a few threads on here about them. We run 2 50 ft outdoor cords to our coop and have never had any problem. Well once the cords came unplugged and my son tried to reattach them he got zapped but it was just after a rain.
hmm.png
All in all though they have worked out fine. We wrap something around the connection now for protection and to keep the moisture out.
smile.png

Don't home centers stock some sort of waterproof case for connecting outdoor extension cords? I seem to recall someone makes a small clear plastic box that snaps around the junction. Ask somebody at Home Depot or Menards.

I was looking at Home Depot - 100' of outdoor 14/2 wire is about $100 (by the time you spend all your money on extension cords - and worrying about them - you may as well do this) Menards will likey be cheaper

The conduit (better than pvc for burial) is relatively cheap (less than $1 per 10')

Get a breaker switch for your box (make sure you know the brand - because that matters!)

Rent a book from the library on wiring - it's a real easy DIY

And run the wire straight from your breaker panel - SAFE is always the better route (and it sounds like it wouldn't cost any more in your case)

I have a cord run to mine, But 100' of cord reaches the coop without an extension. I did buy a more expensive severe weather cord because I've had the lighter weight ones fail when it gets really really cold. I'm digging a little trench this weekend, just a couple inches or so, to put the cord in, I scrounged some leftover pipe from a plumbeing company. Gonna run the cord through there, underground, to save the wear and tear it would suffer being walked on by all the people and pets moving between the house and the coop.

Good luck!

Use outdoor rated cords and run them to a GFCI type outdoor socket and you should be fine.

I wouldn't chain them, though, if you can help it.

I got a solar shed light just this week -- it's bright, but it's LCD, so you're not going to get heat out of it, if that's what you're interested in.

Quote:
Can you send me a link to the light you got?? I'm not wanting something for heat or egg laying , just something so I can see now that the days are getting shorter.

I have out door cords the orange colored one and they have been working fine. I do have them hooked into an outlit
on the pole light and the pole light which is close to
all the coops gives off some light and goes off at daybreak.

Back
Top Bottom