running extension cords to coops

Quote:
Just aim the panel in the right direction (here it is South) and you should have all the light you need. If I have a period of a lot of rain or cloudiness, over several days, the light will start blinking which indicates that I need to recharge the battery in it and I'm good. I have had it up for several months and only had to recharge it once. Another way to "recharge" the light is to turn it off for a few sunny days and let the sun recharge the battery. Mine is also a motion detector which, I would think in your situation, would need to be covered or turned off or it will come on every time a chicken moves at night and run down your battery:-( However, it would let you know if something is moving in your coop..hmmm.decisions decisions.

momto5rascals2angels >We have to use ext. cords unless we can figure out some way to get solar energy over there. Between our house and the coop sits a large configuration of leech lines, and a whole lot of other septic system stuff (for lack of a better work). We can put anything underground which is why we use the cords.

I believe most septic lines are atleast 12" deep, electric lines should be a minimum of 18" down but you should be able to get away with aslittle as 6" deep for the electric if you put the wire in a conduit. you would only need the conduit where the septic lines are the you could go down to a good depth. There is always a way. to be honest I use a few ext cords inside my house, but I know the risks and have every intention of running lines properly. eventualy​

I used extension cords this late spring to run the heat lamp. I had no problems but I am having this coop and another wired again for winter this fall.

I've run extension cords outside for water buckets and lights. When it gets wet or snowy outside and the dampness trips the breaker the buckets freeze etc. A couple of years ago...I started to wrap the cords where connected to other cords with saran wrap - when I set them out in the Fall. It works like a charm. I use quite a bit and I wrap to the left and right of the connection. Water never gets in - and I rarely have a frozen bucket now. Wrap it well enough and it stays dry unitl Spring.

i do this but one really long heavy duty cord reaches, then i have a 3 way spliter inside for fans in the summer and heat lamp and heated bowl in the winter, only problem I have had is getting unplugged accidentally. I even found a remote control on and off switch that is plugged into the outlet and the extension is plugged into it. It has a remote and I dont even need to leave the house to turn them on and off.

Quote:
This is good to know!...I am in Ashtabula County in NE Ohio and I also am planning on running an extension cord out to my coop!...Thanks!

~Laura

I'm in the same boat with the extension cord idea. If you get a heavy duty cord that is wrapped well, you can dig a little trough about 3 inches deep and bury the cord. I haven’t had any problems with moisture or electrical problems. This is a cheap way to introduce power to you coup. Now the weather changing like it is your chickens with only be happier.
smile.png

Honestly, it is really easy to wire your coop. I am an old lady and I did it. You buy underground wiring, and I only dug my little trench about 6 or 8 inches deep. I did not use conduit. Remember it is a very small trench (narrow, as in narrow wire) to dig, and easy. I have rocky and clay soil, and it was easy. I had to go over 100 feet, and am very glad I have electicity there for winter water. It is not expensive. Extension cords will cost more, IMO.

I was not on BYC last winter, but have heard of numerous stories of coops buring down and all chickens dead.

Whatever you decide to do .... Be safe, Have fun, and Good Luck!
Best wishes, Kathy

Back
Top Bottom