Running out.... Not sure what to do

Splinty

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
New York
Hi! Right now my 5 week olds are eating Manna Pro Medicated Chick Starter. I already picked up a bag of Poulin Grain Grower Feed. My problem is that the bag of Manna Pro says to feed it for the first 8 weeks. The bag of Poulin Grain says to start feeding at 6 weeks. I have enough Manna Pro to feed them for another week or so. I was thinking of mixing the grower feed with the Manna Pro to make it last till the 8th week. I really don't want to go buy another bag of the Manna Pro for $15 for a 5lb bag. If someone can please tell me if mixing the 2 together would be fine and not harm my girls or mess up the effects of the medicated feed for cocci that would be very much appreciated. Thanks

I fed medicated until 17 weeks of age with the oldest. I just switched to unmedicated due to them laying eggs. It's up to you what you feed. Personally I'd stick with medicated for a while.

Quote:
I just paid that for the 50# bag of grower feed. The feed stores here don't sell the Manna Pro so I have to order it online and the food is cheap it's the shipping. I was hoping this last bag I got would get me to 8 weeks but it not looking to good.

I agree with what you want to do. I would go ahead and mix the feed and use up what you have. I don't feed medicated feed and have never had a problem. I feed Dumor 20% chick feed until they are 7 wks. Then I switch to Neutrena Nature Wise 18 % All Flock because thats what everybody else gets. My laying hens have ground egg shells available for added calcium. I have had no problem with soft shell eggs since I started feeding them this way.

Some people even keep them on starter until near laying and switch to laying feed. Do what you plan. It should be fine.

Mine own chickens grew up on scratch at their previous home and they are fine and laying well.

Do what ever you want.

Personally, I would go ahead and start mixing the two feeds together until your bag is out.

I feed my hens Chick Starter up until laying and then switch to Layer Pellets/Crumbles.

~ Aspen

Last edited:
I think it would be fine to mix the two together so it will last the appropriate amount of time. It shouldn't mess up the medication since there is still some in there, it may dilute it a bit but that's all. $15 for the little bag?! I don't even pay that for laying pellets!! OR horse feed!! for 50# bags!

I've never, ever used medicated feed. In your case though, to save money, I'd do what you're thinking and just start mixing. They need to let their bodies get tough anyway, instead of having some kind of 'crutch' (medicated feeds) keep them from learning to fight the 'bad things'.

Back
Top Bottom