running out of options, please HELP!!!!!!!

Chickenslol

Songster
Sep 26, 2020
idk man, no clue
i’ve been looking around for resources and i can’t find anything quite close and when i do the chicken always dies at the end. my past threads have gotten little to no support, and its this or the vet.

some information on the bird

her name is nickel, she is a GLW, she is 8 months, no previous health issues. we got her from tractor supply (dumb i know). so she is not vaccinated.

timeline

saturday: i put my chickens out and noticed her stumbling as if she was off balance. i immediately quarantined, and started looking for answers. because she was stumbling as if something in her back end was bothering her, i figured egg bound. there was an attempt to give her an epsom salt bath, it failed. we put her on electrolytes and regular crumble. i’ll edit with photos when i can

sunday: a second attempt for an epsom salt bath. we gave her a tums, and a bath, and she perked up. she began to walk better, and ate.

monday: she now has her balance, but no egg, poop is now very runny, only eating out of hand, not eating when in box.

tuesday: seemed better, we went to put her out and she pooped entirely liquid. no longer comfortable putting her out when she was still sick, we kept her for another day. she laid an egg, but very small.

Wednesday: we put her out in the morning. there was immediately some pecking but i left it so she could rejoin the flock without intervention. when i came home she was still in the coop, huddled in the corner, hiding. i locked out the coop and put the food and water outside, figured if i forced her to go outside, she’d begin to regain confidence. she pooped liquid again, and stood in the same place. her wings were held off of her body and her balance issues were back. we put her back into quarantine and she’s no longer pooping, and is very weak, falling asleep standing up, wobbly and lethargic.

im calling a vet tonight hopefully, attached are some pics for reference

in the beginning,
3D1569A6-E1FB-4371-8A8E-FF86E45645D0.jpeg

poop looked like this:
7D105DB2-C0D1-4569-8D84-10DE7B09CC09.jpeg

in the bath:
A3C3A1B3-B934-426D-8148-FC7158D78D88.jpeg

1B758816-29D3-4227-8876-765837F27FCC.jpeg

9276DA54-B634-4652-9B6C-B31F33FE1E31.jpeg
image.jpg

edit: tagging ppl for help @azygous @Wyorp Rock @aart
@Eggcessive

Last edited:
I once got a hen from someone who said the hen was just over a year, and she got waterbelly about a month after I got her. I don't know much about waterbelly, I only know that my hen had it.

Feel the abdomen, is it squishy?
Her comb does not appear to be blue or purple, which is a symptom of waterbelly. Is it darker than usual?
Very helpful site:

farminence.com/water-belly-in-chickens/

Feel the abdomen, is it squishy?
Her comb does not appear to be blue or purple, which is a symptom of waterbelly. Is it darker than usual?
Very helpful site:

farminence.com/water-belly-in-chickens/
i’m not sure if you can see from the photos but her comb is definitely faded, but not purple, her abdomen is slightly swollen

Poor dear clearly does not feel well. The bright green poop is from not eating enough.

Do you know if her crop is clearing?

When you say very small egg, how small exactly? Can you crack it and see if there is a yolk?

What do you feed her? Is she getting oyster shell or some form of free choice calcium?
her crop was clearing, not anymore, i’m about to check though. the egg was very small but when we cracked it it was mostly yolk actually. photo below. she is not on calcium, none of our flock has ever had calcium problems so we don’t see the need, she’s on layer crumble, is that not enough?
25AAC600-22D1-442B-8DDC-00DD5A310E06.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom