Runt? Or just slow grower?

dbounds10

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 15, 2011
Fort Worth, Tx
I got 4 chicks from a farm on 3/13. Was told they were all hatched out in the same batch but I’m not certain. They are all supposed to be frizzed OE’s One of the 4 is much smaller than the other girls and seems to be feathering more slowly. And one of the 4 is HUGE lol. The small one was a little less active at first but now eats, drinks and runs around a bit. She does get pushed out of food some but I added more food so now she is getting more food. I didn’t add any vitamins or probiotics when I got them but do you think maybe this will help the little one catch up? She seems ok and poop is good. First 3 pics are of the little black one and the average size girl. Last two pics are of my giant one and my smallest one.

Attachments

• E5D27F04-DA8A-4856-9E52-4D4CBCBC2D78.jpeg
    E5D27F04-DA8A-4856-9E52-4D4CBCBC2D78.jpeg
    608.9 KB · Views: 24
  • B7C9B159-FD3E-42F0-9A51-C12B62EE45D5.jpeg
    B7C9B159-FD3E-42F0-9A51-C12B62EE45D5.jpeg
    416.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 81CC7617-3646-4A75-B1D4-A8583131DAA7.jpeg
    81CC7617-3646-4A75-B1D4-A8583131DAA7.jpeg
    439.6 KB · Views: 5
  • B7C0C822-FC40-4FD9-B596-70FB06220396.jpeg
    B7C0C822-FC40-4FD9-B596-70FB06220396.jpeg
    467.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 573F03E9-338E-4D8A-8646-8234C1819334.jpeg
    573F03E9-338E-4D8A-8646-8234C1819334.jpeg
    399.2 KB · Views: 6
Runts are usually failure to thrive. They are small mostly due to less mature organs at hatch. This translates into lower ability to metabolize nutrients and calories in the liver. These chicks, in just one week, can be behind in growth. By two weeks, they can fall far enough behind that they are half the size of the others.

Extra vitamins and calories and protein is the secret to helping them catch up. I offer all the chicks occasional "treats" of crumbled tofu or finely minced hard boiled egg. Being fed with the other chicks stimulates the small one to eat. I use Poultry Nutri-drench sprinkled over these treats to infuse the chick with nutrients that are formulated to by-pass needing metabolizing in the liver.

With the extra feedings, a failure-to -thrive chick may not completely catch up, but can put on enough weight and size to compete with the others.

Runts are usually failure to thrive. They are small mostly due to less mature organs at hatch. This translates into lower ability to metabolize nutrients and calories in the liver. These chicks, in just one week, can be behind in growth. By two weeks, they can fall far enough behind that they are half the size of the others.

Extra vitamins and calories and protein is the secret to helping them catch up. I offer all the chicks occasional "treats" of crumbled tofu or finely minced hard boiled egg. Being fed with the other chicks stimulates the small one to eat. I use Poultry Nutri-drench sprinkled over these treats to infuse the chick with nutrients that are formulated to by-pass needing metabolizing in the liver.

With the extra feedings, a failure-to -thrive chick may not completely catch up, but can put on enough weight and size to compete with the others.
Thanks so much! I don’t think she is quite half the size of the average girls but is getting there. Will add vitamins to the water today and start giving the minced egg! I will have to order some nitri drench.

Do you think I should give her a drop of the nutri drench directly daily for a few days? How much would I sprinkle over the egg for the whole bunch of them?

A drop of Nutri-drench for a couple days would be fine. You can squirt a dropper full over the treat for all the chicks. But confine the Nutri-drench to a period of two or three weeks. Too much can cause loose stools. When you see brown watery poop, cut back on the nutridrench.
View media item 7953491@azygous I got a drop, maybe 2 in her tonight. She wasn’t having it. I also gave the whole gang an egg with about 6-8 drops mixed in and a sprinkle of grit. She ate some but mostly would grab a bite or 2 and run wipe her beak. She seems to like to scratch around. I think she’s ok. What is you opinion after watching the video?

She appears to be lively and doing well. Keep up the extra protein feedings for the next few weeks. She may never get as large as the others, but she looks like she'll grow and develop all right.
I'm experiencing a very similar situation. I have one Barred Rock chick that's about half the size of her brothers and sisters at 5 weeks. We call her Wee Chick. She's a healthy eater, very energetic, loves scrambled egg, and doesn't seem to have any developmental issues aside from her size. Good luck to you and yours!

She appears to be lively and doing well. Keep up the extra protein feedings for the next few weeks. She may never get as large as the others, but she looks like she'll grow and develop all right.
@azygous Well today I couldn’t get her to take a drop she doesn’t like me Messing with her lol. I put a cap full of the drench in a ful liter water bottle and let them all drink out of it for a few hours. I just gave them their egg treat and she was like a monster getting in there and plowing down egg! It was like a shark week feeding frenzy lol. I’m taking the drench out now and putting back in clean water. I think she is gonna be just fine. Thanks again for the help and encouragement!

Back
Top Bottom