Runt sleepy chick with swollen eye

Loreydorey

Hatching
Apr 5, 2020
I have a three week old silkie chick with large lump over her right eye. Other eye is healthy and normal. No thread worms visible. No runny nose, coughing, wheezing, odors. Eye is watery and slightly crusty. I've pressed on the lump and nothing oozed out. She lives with five other chicks inside my home. She is cuddled daily and so we noticed the lump two days ago when it was smaller. Other chicks appear healthy and normal. We took this chick to the vet and she said she thinks it's an injury. She said she tried to drain it and that some clear fluid came out but she didn't want to mess with it too much so close to the eye and that the eye itself looks healthy. It's just this lump right above the eye that is so swollen. She gave us Covidein antibiotic to administer twice a day for 10 days to prevent infection. She has had three doses so far but it's swollen up even bigger now and she can barely open that eye. She is the smallest of all the chicks. She's growing but not as quickly as the others. She's also always been the sleepiest of the chicks. She eats, drinks, and poops normally as far as I can tell. Poop is runny, but looks the same as the other chicks. I just realized I had the heat lamp too close to their house so I think they were drinking too much causing runny brown stools. I rinsed the eye with saline and put Neosporin ointment on the lump, which is why it appears shiny in photos. I separated her from the other chicks. She acts healthy and normal other than being sleepier. But she's not always sleeping, she also eats and pecks and socializes with the others. I saw her scratching the eye, but that was right after I put ointment on, so it might just be that she was trying to get it off. I don't see any lice or mites. She is on medicated starter feed and has probiotics in her water. Could it be an abscess? I don't want to go back to the vet because I'm not convinced they know a lot about chickens specifically and I can't find a vet that does.
IMG_20200405_142607.jpg
IMG_20200405_142537.jpg
IMG_20200405_141911.jpg
IMG_20200405_142726.jpg
IMG_7408.jpg
IMG_20200405_142802.jpg

You could pick up some Terramycin ointment or Curicyn drops at TSC and try that for a few days.
When I was using them on my gander, I used them twice daily. I think the Curicyn drops seemed to work better for my situation than Terramycin.

Back
Top Bottom