Runt?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aineheartsyou, Mar 18, 2011.

1. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    Cocoa seems to about half the size of the rest of my ducklings, with the exception of her look alike but she is still a bit smaller than her. Do poultry have runts? see is eating and drinking fine, she is just tiny.

she is the small chocolatey one in the middle of the pic
    [​IMG]

her again
    [​IMG]

2. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    I would not sweat it. They have growth spurs, she will catch up later. It's just like kids.

3. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    For a long time, Norie was a the bigger duckling while moxy was tiny... Now full grown our Mox is a huge butt and Norie is tiny....

It could just be that cocoa hatched a little later in the day than the others so the others had a head start. That's what we figured with Norie and Moxy

4. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    Your little guy really does remind me of Moxy as a duckling. Norie was the largest of the 7 ducks we got in that shipment and Moxy was the smallest by a long shot. Norie was nearly twice as big as Moxy during the first week. Moxy caught up after about 12 weeks and kept growing long after Norie stopped. Now Moxy is around a full pound heavier! (Moxy about 4 lbs, Norie about 3 lbs).

Unless the other ducklings are picking on your little guy, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    You have a number of different breeds there - That could in part account for the size difference- if you were comparing a whole group of 50 ducklings all the same breed you would still get variances- but more likely when you have different breeds. You mentioned yourself that the other one the same colour is also a bit small.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by