Runty duckling with deformed beak

I have one with a deformed bill. Garth hatched on May 7th along with one other hatchmate. At the time, I had a loner duckling that was about a month old. Once Garth and hatchmate Rex were big enough, I introduced them to Phoenix, the older one. Once they were all bonded together, I put them outside with the rest of the flock. I never did the wet food for Garth. He always was a little pig. He did develop slower, but having the other 2 around, the main flock didn’t pick on them too much. He also developed angel wing in both wings, and his feathers look pretty tattered, but otherwise he gets along great. He still eats longer than the others, I think it just takes him a little longer to get full. But he’s always under my feet wanting treats. Lol His tongue sticks out, and I suspect it is partially hardened from being partially exposed, but it doesnt seem to bother him.

I had started a thread about Garth also, and a few others chimed in with similar issues. So my advice would be to let him be a duck. He will adapt. Definitely keep an eye on him, but he should be fine in the long run.
EEDF9270-58C3-4F9A-9652-F7BAE9F641F9.jpeg

1B162ECD-3F4E-474D-9CB6-7813AAE3D78C.jpeg

He was always smaller than his hatchmate
54B70EC4-C115-4ABB-8DD1-E11CD288E1C4.jpeg

Here he is today:
CAACBBE1-713D-4752-ABAD-07179D958C01.jpeg

I have one with a deformed bill. Garth hatched on May 7th along with one other hatchmate. At the time, I had a loner duckling that was about a month old. Once Garth and hatchmate Rex were big enough, I introduced them to Phoenix, the older one. Once they were all bonded together, I put them outside with the rest of the flock. I never did the wet food for Garth. He always was a little pig. He did develop slower, but having the other 2 around, the main flock didn’t pick on them too much. He also developed angel wing in both wings, and his feathers look pretty tattered, but otherwise he gets along great. He still eats longer than the others, I think it just takes him a little longer to get full. But he’s always under my feet wanting treats. Lol His tongue sticks out, and I suspect it is partially hardened from being partially exposed, but it doesnt seem to bother him.

I had started a thread about Garth also, and a few others chimed in with similar issues. So my advice would be to let him be a duck. He will adapt. Definitely keep an eye on him, but he should be fine in the long run. View attachment 2860253
View attachment 2860264
He was always smaller than his hatchmate
View attachment 2860255

Here he is today:
View attachment 2860256
Awww!!! That is pretty much how my little Hope looks like. Her tounge is a bit deformed but she is growing. She has doubled her weight and size in 2 weeks!❤ I am so happy to see your little guy has made it and is thriving. It gives me such inspiration! I am going to have to get her bulked up for a couple more weeks and try to get her back out to her flock. I have been doing the supervised visits on nice days, but I gotta get her out there soon before the snow falls.

Back
Top Bottom