Russian Orloff laying rate?

Hermits Garden

Vintage American Featherless Biped
Oct 8, 2018
I've tried to find info on this--and have found a range of answers from "not the best layers" to "4 or 5 eggs per week". The hatcheries that sell Orloffs say "105 per year" (Ideal) or "fair" (Privett).

Lots of posts or comments regarding Orloffs' late maturity and delayed laying.

But what about the rate of lay? I don't mind waiting, but the girls have got to pay their rent.

What say you, Orloff keepers? (Thank you in advance.)

I have an Orloff! But unfortunately I cannot quite answer your question because I can't tell the eggs of my brown egg layers apart. I feel like she does possibly lay a bit less often than a few of the others, but she is definitely not a "bad" layer. I will try to pay closer attention to who lays each day, and I'll follow up here when I can.

My ROs have all taken their sweet time to start laying. 6-7 months. I get on average 3 eggs a week even from my 6 year old. Their eggs are very easy to identify. They tend to be slender light, light brown almost pink. They are all Privet birds. Paying their way is a stretch but my flock will always have a few. Some of my craziest looking EEs have been out of their eggs.

My ROs have all taken their sweet time to start laying. 6-7 months. I get on average 3 eggs a week even from my 6 year old. Their eggs are very easy to identify. They tend to be slender light, light brown almost pink. They are all Privet birds. Paying their way is a stretch but my flock will always have a few. Some of my craziest looking EEs have been out of their eggs.
Thank you for your input! I am tickled to hear this, because with some new developments in our neighborhood (the three lots near us have sold) I was debating whether to just not have roosters, or to find a slightly quieter breed. I have always loved the looks of this breed, but we do need at least 6 eggs a day or more.

Do you recommend Privett over Ideal?

The feed store I buy chicks from uses Privet as one of their suppliers and I know the ROs came from them. I have never bought Ideal birds. They are probably comparable in type. I would just go with whomever can fill your order.

The feed store I buy chicks from uses Privet as one of their suppliers and I know the ROs came from them. I have never bought Ideal birds. They are probably comparable in type. I would just go with whomever can fill your order.
I got my Orloff from a feed store that got their chicks from Privett as well.
1619112985010.png

1619113006303.png

This picture isn't very recent. She now has more feathers with white tips. Also after she molts, her beard/muffs are much fluffier and fuller than they appear here.

Here she is getting progressively younger:
1619113114948.png

1619113140904.png

1619113155973.png

1619113214818.png

Cool. Do you find their temperaments are typical of ROs despite their being hatchery birds? I can probably find a breeder, (maybe) but I don't know if I can afford it. What I like about them is their friendly temperament and that they are described as a relatively quiet (for chickens).

I got my Orloff from a feed store that got their chicks from Privett as well.
View attachment 2630042

View attachment 2630043
This picture isn't very recent. She now has more feathers with white tips. Also after she molts, her beard/muffs are much fluffier and fuller than they appear here.

Here she is getting progressively younger:
View attachment 2630046
View attachment 2630048
View attachment 2630049
View attachment 2630050
Thank you! Their laying rate is only part of the equation, of course. It's the hubs and I for breakfasts, with a weekly recipe or two calling for eggs--I seldom bake. Their temperament and quiet nature is what appeals to me. It seems so at odds with their fierce, noble bearing, doesn't it?

Cool. Do you find their temperaments are typical of ROs despite their being hatchery birds? I can probably find a breeder, (maybe) but I don't know if I can afford it. What I like about them is their friendly temperament and that they are described as a relatively quiet (for chickens).
I know this question isn't addressed to me, but I can also answer based on my Orloff. She is quiet, much more so than my other four birds, and I would say she is friendly, though not in the cuddly way (i.e. she will come over to me but hates being touched and/or picked up).

Keep in mind that I have only the one Orloff and no prior experience with the breed, so I have nothing to compare her to.

Back
Top Bottom