Russian Orloffs

"I really like the predatory meaty look the Orloffs are SUPPOSED to have"

That is exactly why type should be the primary focus. The Asil is the breed from which most oriental games (Malay being one) are derived. They are not res jungle fowl but an ancient domesticated gamefowl. Kulang Asil can reach 14lbs for the cock. They have the type and size to achieve the desired result with Orloffs. The Spangled Orloffs already have the mottled gene.

This is good information NC, and it is what I was just saying would be my focus in a discussion with Charlie-- the man donating birds to me. I don't know much about breeding. I am also very visual so it is easier for me to discern what a bird needs to look like than it is to read it. When I look at the game birds I know that their chest and upright posture as well as their muscle is what I 'should' see. There isn't a conflict with leg color or combs etc and so I was thinking about using them. These Orloffs are supposed to be heavy birds. Thank you for clarifying and affirming (for me personally) that I am on the right track. I could use more information like this while trying to breed. (please)

Orloff_Rood_hen.jpg
Orloff_Koekoek_haan.jpg
HuhnHeilker1.jpg

Just a few more images high jacked from internet. First is a hen and the others are cockerels or roosters. Cuckoo isn't in the US as far as I know but I love that stance.

Can anyone identify this bird? In my research I found this one but its on a foreign site and I can't figure out anything other than maybe Belgian Game Fowl. I'd be concerned about the leg color.
2944733035_1_3.jpg

I meant to post this and realized I'd forgotten, These are the 2 I got in December.
I've got a picture of the other 4 but it was taken at the previous owners place. I know they're not perfect quality, but I love em' anyway and they have great personalities.

2944733035_1_3.jpg

This is a "Black Sumatra", this is the next bird that I will be adding, next to the Orloffs
Did you mean you were adding Sumatras to your collection of birds or that you are crossing these two?

Thank you very much, Chris. My translation led me to think they were Belgian Games but that was only based on a loose knowledge of etymology .

Does anyone have any response to the question about Star Bright?

Charlie is a great resource. It has been a pleasure working with him. I must offer a short reply for now, I will add more later. I have StarBright's line. They need size and are lacking in the white area, but they are good stock for type. She also has some cuckoo, but they are not very productive.

Chris, good too see you here. your knowledge is always appreciated. Would love to see what you have done with yours.

Take care,
Ivy

Ivy,

I sold all mine about a year ago, I wanted to concentrate more on my Reds.
Give me a year or so I get back into it, I have to find anouther good Malay Pair first.

Chris

Charlie is a great resource. It has been a pleasure working with him. I must offer a short reply for now, I will add more later. I have StarBright's line. They need size and are lacking in the white area, but they are good stock for type. She also has some cuckoo, but they are not very productive.

Chris, good too see you here. your knowledge is always appreciated. Would love to see what you have done with yours.

Take care,
Ivy

I'm very excited. The cockerels/roosters here in Maine are from Red Rooster and Star Bright stock. I hope to get one and eventually maybe some eggs. Charlie has been so patient and Chris also has shared in another forum. If you couldn't tell I have enthusiasm but not a lot of experience in breeding. Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom