Russian Orloffs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mrs. Fluffy Puffy, Feb 16, 2010.

1. desertmarcy

desertmarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Tucson

2. NCSprout

NCSprout Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    Sophia, NC
    The above referenced link and standard refer to the old "Russian" standard. This was in the APA SOP prior to the late 1800's. It also dealt with black birds. I am aware of fowlafoot's work with her birds and wish she still had them. I am trying to track down her strain which was sold.
    Here is a link which you may find helpful as far as color goes. http://www.russianorloffclubofgreatbritain.co.uk/id6.html Also some good pics that show type.

If you look at the history section in the above link you will find copies of a few early 1900's feathered world publications.

As I understand it, the eggs are to be "tinted". I take this to mean a color other than base white. One of the reasons for translating and copying the standards is to create a dialogue where we can discuss and formulate a standard for the US. I have only seen light brown/beige eggs. I believe this is the color that they should be, I don't think they need to be darker.

3. NCSprout

NCSprout Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    Sophia, NC
    I think using Ameraucana to cross in the black plumage may result in skin color and dermal complications later on. It would also be a bit difficult to breed away from green eggs since you can't tell what color is carried by the male. I personally am weighing the effects of Dominiques, Exchequer Leghorns, and Black/Mottled/Cuckoo Asil.
    A barred hen crossed with a spangled cock should produce black hens. The beards would be bred according to size in future generations, and skin/leg color would be easier to work with. Black cocks would be produced by crossing the black F2 hens with the P1 cock. Type would also be bred to with future generations, pairing best to best.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  4. ashandvine

ashandvine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Western MA
    Blue and Orange sounds interesting.

I've been to the UK site and like the look of those black mottles. I knew that Ams, having the dominant blue egg gene and their slate legs would be difficult. I had hoped by stating the obvious no-no someone would come up with a great idea. My only other go to is to use as dark a Malay as possible with a dark Mahogany or Spangle with little spangling. I do find it interesting how the EEs turned out. I'm considering what that means regarding the bit I know about genetics. Black to splash produces 100% blue in Ams. Hm. I am not familiar with Asils. I will look them up.

As far as the old standard, is that something that has already been thrown out?

5. desertmarcy

May 26, 2011
    Tucson
    I was a bit confused, too. I expected all blues from the splash. Maybe she is a blue hen, that would make more sense. 50% blue and 50% black. I had posted pics of her way back on the Ameraucana thread and was told she is a splash. She is light blueish (very pale) and has just a couple of small black marks. The black marks is why I was told she is a splash, but as I understand it, blues can get some black leakage on them. In either case, the offspring are lovely. I just did the cross to get green egg layers but I'm happy with the way the birds turned out.

6. ashandvine

Apr 23, 2012
    Western MA
    Splash are not blue. They are almost white, like a very pale Lav, with splashes of blue and black and lav.

7. desertmarcy

May 26, 2011
    Tucson
    Color is so subjective. Here she is when she was younger. I don't have any adult pics of her, but her color is basically the same. Sorry off Orloff topic for a moment..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. kahlua

kahlua Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    NJ
    If she produced black and blue chicks, I don't think she could be a splash. Must just be a very light blue.

9. ashandvine

Apr 23, 2012
    Western MA
    Okay... so I looked up Asil. They are game birds essentially, built like the Malay for all I can see. I will state this at the outset so you all know what you are working with here: I think these birds are creepy looking. With that admitted I also realized that their body type is nearly identical to the Orloff only the Orloff is meaty and heavily feathered.
    On to my next question. When breeding how do you designate who should be P1 and P2? Do you begin with the out crossing right off and are you just picking based on best hen you have or best rooster you have and paring it with the other breed? Then breeding F1 back to the Orloff parent? I do not understand the pattern or priority in breeding like this. Is there an actual method??

10. JKMAKO

JKMAKO New Egg

Jul 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here are 2 of mine that I got From http://www.rarefeathers.com/, was sent the eggs, and all hatched like clock work... now they have started to lay eggs and now I have 7 chicks... great birds...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by