Russian Orloffs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mrs. Fluffy Puffy, Feb 16, 2010.

1. ashandvine

ashandvine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Western MA
    None of my girls have feathered shanks. Between the three of them there is one GREAT Orloff. One has a great neck, another beautiful spangling, etc. I am going to try to find more information on the original standards and go from there before I come up with an opinion about what to breed. At this point I like the wrong things: ie the white head :)

2. NCSprout

NCSprout Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    Sophia, NC
    The only APA standard for Orloffs was for "Russians" and it was for black. When working with Orloffs, and many other breeds,it is important to breed first and foremost for type, then apply color. We have translated the German standard for a variety of colors, but the important thing, I believe, is that we have the type description from the country where the Orloff was actually bred to perfection. I have also been talking with breeders in Europe about the original Russian standard and how that was worked with. There is a lot of background on the Orloff as it appeared in the UK from Germany and what was done with it once it got there.

3. ashandvine

Apr 23, 2012
    Western MA
    Is this some where that we could read? I am looking for a roo now but am not even sure what to look for. I read that they are very predatory looking with thick feathering on the neck, have beards, yellow legs and were bred for meat... that is about it.

4. desertmarcy

desertmarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Tucson
    I sure wish you were closer or it wasn't so hot to ship. I have an extra male from this year's breeding, he is nice, just a few extra white feathers that I would like to not be there. I have had ZERO luck selling breeding trios out here and have finally resorted to selling the extra pullets as layers. I already picked out what I want for this coming year to breed and ended up with 6 extra pullets that are nice, so I was hoping to get some other people interested in breeding them around here. He got a reprieve from the last butchering we did yesterday...still hoping for a new home, but I'm afraid he will be freezer meat soon as I already have 4 males I am keeping.

5. NCSprout

Nov 30, 2010
    Sophia, NC
    I have spent quite a bit of time looking for and gathering info, both online and at local clubs, meets, libraries, you name it. The European clubs have a good bit of info on the history and refinement once it reached them, but the history of them here in the states is a bit more obscure. I think in the earlier pages of this thread there was a copy of the old "Russian" standard. Here is a link to the Preservation Society site: http://russianorloff.weebly.com

I am trying to move that info over to another site and add to it so we have a base site that we can use.

6. NCSprout

Nov 30, 2010
    Sophia, NC
    To everyone that contacted me regarding the Orloff forums,
    You should have received the copies I have by know through email. I have forwarded your email address to Mr. Casper and he should be sending you the most recent one directly. It contains a translation of the German standard. Once you have reviewed it, I think it would be a good idea to openly discuss the standard as it applies toward our individual breeding goals and see what we can come up with. I also have a list of addresses forwarded to me by Mr. Casper that I have honestly just been hesitant to share because I haven't spoken with everyone on it directly. I have been told that I can share them, so if you would like the contact addresses let me know. Also let me know if you would or would not like to be added to this list. I am keeping a private list of breeder/enthusiasts that do not want info publicly shared, so I could add you to that if you would rather. I hope we can use this increase in interest to help bring the Orloff out of it's critical status.

Take care
    Ivy

7. ashandvine

Apr 23, 2012
    Western MA
    I wish the same. Its not as hot here but even shipping them with fresh fruit could still find them dehydrated. The good news for the future is that my PO/mailbox is almost visible through the trees. An easy walk or eager run. I have some reading to do and I'll keep trying to find the Orloffs in this state.

8. ashandvine

Apr 23, 2012
    Western MA
    [​IMG]
    Here are some of the roos that are in my area to pick from. I know the spangling isn't great but so far they look pretty good for type. I think the one closes looks best for all I can see. Advice?? I will ask for a few more pictures. They are from Road Island Red Barn or something like that... sorry. Distracted here.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  9. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

You know I'm all in Ivy....

Pretty busy right now, but I'll be glad to help in any way I can.

10. NCSprout

Nov 30, 2010
    Sophia, NC
    From the shot they look good to type. If you are thinking about purchasing one, I would say go for what pleases your eye. Charlie should be getting translated standards out to everybody. Once you actually have the boy, look it over and compare it. I think most of the birds available here need work in some way or another, so this is going to be a long term investment in my opinion. If you haven't received the forums from Charlie, then let me know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by