Russian Orloffs

Hatchery? Which?

I'd like some to be standing at my house :) Feel free to visit with a few... although the weather is only good for snowmobiling and skiing and the like right now.

Been thinking about blasphemy here.... considering putting another breed of cockerel in with the Orloffs just so I can use the eggs to hatch meat birds. I am not much of an egg eater, there is only so much baking to be done and I don't have a shingle. So... maybe a cross instead.

Is anyone else hatching RO?

Last edited:
Hatchery?  Which?

I'd like some to be standing at my house :)  Feel free to visit with a few... although the weather is only good for snowmobiling and skiing and the like right now. 

Been thinking about blasphemy here.... considering putting another breed of cockerel in with the Orloffs just so I can use the eggs to hatch meat birds.  I am not much of an egg eater, there is only so much baking to be done and I don't have a shingle.  So... maybe a cross instead.

Is anyone else hatching RO?

I got these from Welp hatchery, I believe they originated at Privett. Hoping to get some from Rare Feather Farms when she starts hatching later this spring (she's about 5 hours away from me) but figured I'd get these now for fun (I've got lots of room). Actually pleasantly surprised so far, I was really expecting them to just look like speckled Sussex chicks minus the straight comb. I did loose 9 of them in the first two days, don't know if they hit some really cold weather in transit or... But they were kinda lethargic on arrival and never really perked up even with electrolytes, nutri-drench, etc. But the other 17 came out of the box vigorous and have stayed that way.

I don't know what Privet is but thank you for the answer. I would be interested to see how these grow and feather. So many of the RO do not have the proper 'ski slope' type-- that SS crossing you are speaking of.

Good news here. I believe the new cockerel will be here by the end of the month. Let the RO dreams once again begin.

I don't know what Privet is but thank you for the answer.  I would be interested to see how these grow and feather.  So many of the RO do not have the proper 'ski slope' type-- that SS crossing you are speaking of.

Good news here.  I believe the new cockerel will be here by the end of the month.  Let the RO dreams once again begin.
Yay! Where is your new cockerel coming from?

There is a private keeper up here who does not raise them or intend to breed or show. She has a few and has generously offered to share given my desire. In fairness I am trading her eggs back so she may have some new stock to replace hers as most of the hens are 3 years old now and a pair of ducks.

I would love to get some feedback on my Orloff roo...he's almost a year old now. His tail is still pitiful...I think he's just extremely slow to mature. He's just now starting to breed the ladies! His tail is getting longer...very slowly...I think he's still got a lot of filling out to do...

I would love to get some feedback on my Orloff roo...he's almost a year old now. His tail is still pitiful...I think he's just extremely slow to mature. He's just now starting to breed the ladies! His tail is getting longer...very slowly...I think he's still got a lot of filling out to do...

Kahlua... I like this guy. I wish he didn't have that one white hackle feather but he looks good for type and general colors. I would almost like his tail to sit a little lower but that's really no biggie. How much do you think he weighs? Could I ask you to take a face shot from the front so I could see his brows?
rbloomer you are
Not sure if this is only for standard RO but I raise bantam russian orloffs. I have a few white babies now but hope to add some more of the grey and regular spangled to my flock.
So funny that you would post now when just two days ago I was wondering where the bantams are since they are still ABA recognized. I would love to see more close ups of your birds if you would please post them. (PLEASE)

Kahlua... I like this guy. I wish he didn't have that one white hackle feather but he looks good for type and general colors. I would almost like his tail to sit a little lower but that's really no biggie. How much do you think he weighs? Could I ask you to take a face shot from the front so I could see his brows?

I don't have any great shots from the front, but here are two shots I got yesterday that might work. If not I can probably take some more tomorrow.

He is getting more white in his hackle feathers - it'll be interesting to see how he looks when he's fully mature.

I also weighed him yesterday - he was 6.5 lbs - but I think/hope he will fill out a lot more...he towers over all of my other chickens and still feels like he's an adolescent.

Back
Top Bottom