Sacramento BYC's-Please Read!

IroquoisEgg

Songster
9 Years
May 30, 2010
Fair Oaks, CA
Hello fellow chicken lovers,

Has anyone purchased chicks at the Feed Store, located at the corner of Florin and Bradshaw? If so, read on. If not, good for you!

In particular, have you gotten any Black Jersey Giant chicks? I have bought 3 in the past week. The 1st one I got died in 4 days, failure to thrive. So, I went back yesterday and bought 2 more, thinking new hatch might be better. Well, 1 of the chicks has what I believe to be wry neck, and the other is pretty lethargic. The 3 others different breeds are doing good.

Also, I have had trouble with the Brown leghorns from there as well. The 1st one I got died, failure to thrive. The 2nd one has some sort of genetic problem and is unusually small-smaller than some of my bantams of the same age. The 3rd leghorn is doing great.

If just the 2 above incidents was the extent of my experiences, I wouldn't be so interested, but these are just 2 of many failures regarding their chicks.

I posted on here yesterday asking about mortality rates of other members, and mine is abnormally high in comparison. Chicks that have brought home from other stores/breeders have all survived and are cruising around the back yard happily. You are probably asking why in the world do you keep going back there? Honestly, they have a large selection, the feed I like to use and the people are knowledgeable and nice. In a way, I feel like maybe i can "save" a few of these chicks from what seems to be their fate. And of course, there's always the "maybe it's my fault" issue, which i have come to realize isn't the case.

Which is why I am writing to ask other members about their experiences? I am not wanting to create a thread tearing this feed store apart-only to see if the problems are within just a few breeds or if there's something else to it. I know they get their chicks from Belt Hatchery in Fresno. Ultimately, I will contact them depending on what appears on this thread.

I have some chickens from that store. I have five right now, but none of them Jersey Giants or Brown Leghorns. I had one that I thought was too small for a while, but it turned out its companion was a roo, and she eventually caught up in size to him anyway.

My friends had chickens from that store too - Rhode Island Reds and New Hampshire Reds.

I had a Golden-Laced Wyandotte (now gone thanks to the dog), Easter Egger (turned out to be a rooster), and currently have a Buff Orpington, Barred Rock, Australorp, and two Light Brahmas.

Neither my friend nor I have had any fatalities, illnesses, or deformities.

idunno.gif

Sounds like it could be breed-specific.

Back
Top Bottom