Sad and Confused and Angry at the World(mostly myself)

What does it mean when a chick pips?
idunno.gif

My first hatch didn't go well last year. I used a homemade bater via fish tank, reptile light, and habitat hygrometer/thermometer. I only put in 6 of the 12 eggs I rcvd, thinking I didn't want too many chicks. Of the six I put in, a few weren't fertile and a couple didn't develop. With temperature spikes and a hygrometer that kept begging for more humidity, I ended up with only two chicks to come to full term (and that was with sleeping on the floor next to the bater and waking every hour to check it). Of the two that came full term, one pipped into its blood supply and died; the other chirped (I was SOO excited) and never hatch. I believe they died from too much humidity. It was heartbreaking. The kids and I gave them a burial in the garden :(

So...this year--I bought a real bator, not worrying so much about keeping the humidity up as high, and so glad it monitors its own temp!

You might want to try more eggs then just 2. I set 20 eggs and on day 7 was down to 16. My last hatch set 31 eggs. Only 22 hatched. With only 2 eggs your chances of hatching isn't very good.

Not to sound too philosophical, but the more we interact with nature, the more we see ways of nature
and develop certain wisdom. Sometimes I wonder what it takes to be a surgeon or a doctor where lives depend on you.

Through hatching, I also continue to learn that you do your best and hope for best. But things arent always in control as modern life makes you believe.

Enough rambling :), but to the original poster :

1. Do not blame yourself, understand that there are thing outside your control
2. Experiment and learn
3. Do your best, hope for the best and keep going no matter what happens

So sorry about your bad luck..this hatching is a real learning experience! My first hatch I put in 6 eggs. Had the bator in the dinning area..cats ignored it, until the first egg started peeping! I should have moved it into a bedroom, but didn't. The first chick hatched! We were so excited! When our backs were turned one of my cats jumped on the bator and knocked it over. Some new eggs in there broke, and the other 5 original I had to keep out of the bator while we cleaned it..put them in front of a heater to keep them warm. Set the bator back up and put them back in..4 of then pipped but none hatched. They got too dried out! I guess shrink wrapped as its been referred too! Very sad. But we learned. Next I set 27 eggs...14 hatched, one we helped hatch and the chick is fine. 2 pipped but didn't make it out. I had opened the bator a lot! Kept it open for at least 5 minutes while trying to assist the one chick...again I shrink wrapped them! I know more of the eggs had chicks in them, but we didn't have the heart to look. So Now I am trying again. 22 eggs..started with 23 but dropped one turning it..so 22! But now I know about lock down! So I'm hoping for a better hatch rate this time! Thank you BYC for all you have taught me!

ONe of the ones I had in previosly was due to hatch on the 26and looks just as the one that was dead... hopefully a good sign??hopefully not the same fate:)maby i didnt kill it this time

Back
Top Bottom