Sad and grossed out :(

Quote:
Just so you know, JGs take up to 2 years to fully flesh out. Not saying you shouldn't go with them, just that it will take a loooong time.

And CXs do get miserable if they are allowed to live too long, or if they are improperly fed. But if you feed them right and time the slaughter correctly, their lives can be just as happy as any other chicken, if significantly shorter.

BBBronze turkeys are hard to raise...

Also, we can wait, the fact is, we need a breeding pair. And we have patience unlike the market world,
lol.png

We don't reeeally want tham fully fleshed, we'll casterate the cockerels,then eat them when their about a year and the hens at about 1 and a half year.

Last edited:
Everything dies eventually, whether it dies for a purpose or just old age doesn't really make a difference to me. chickenlover91, unless you are a vegitarian you have to realize that the meat you buy in the store is not raised and killed as humanely as the people in the meat bird section who raise their own. As bloody as some of the pics are, its life, always has been, always will be.

Such is the circle of life.

Last edited:
Quote:
Ditto for me on this and sadly I have had to do it since then as part of responsible care since most vets don't handle chickens. So even if your chicken is wandering around the house wearing diapers, or is just a garden ornament - having a look at the section is useful and important. People need to know that these animals might require different care than that of a cat or dog BEFORE the emergency happens.

I didn't even know there was a meat bird section
hu.gif
or maybe I'm just blocking it. I grew up on my grandparents farm, butchering was a way of life. We ate what we raised, from cows to carrots. Now, all of our animals are pets and are safe from the hatchet.

Chickenlover91 is a young person who just received a shock. I am quite a bit older than her and had a similar reaction when I saw some of the pics the first time. You can not expect people who were not raised in an enviornment where animals are processed to not have an initial emotional response to it. I do not think she intended to insult anyone. Try reading all of her posts before being harsh with her.

CL- I felt the same way at first. The pics do come in handy when you need to cull a suffering bird though. I recently had to use the knowledge I gained from the posters over there. I also said I would never process birds for food when I first got chickens but having learned more about commercial farms, I am starting to reconsider. It seems home processing is a benefit to both chickens and people. I know you already now that though. I read all of your comments. Seeing the process gets easier after a while. Your reaction was normal.
hugs.gif

How did you know i was young??? Thanks for reading all my posts and being understanding!

Last edited:
Well, it was fairly evident, but it is not wise to post your age on a public forum - you may want to edit that.

Quote:
I think because 1991 (just a guess!) may be the year of your birth! Also, I agree that people need to be a little kinder to the young 'uns on this forum - they are confronting big issues for the first time. Big issues that MOST PEOPLE don't have the guts to face, ie. most people never question where their food comes from. Good on you for starting this thread chickenlover91, these are very important conversations that everyone should be having. Well done!

Back
Top Bottom