Sad and grossed out :(

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chickenlover91, Dec 15, 2011.

1. chickenlover91

chickenlover91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Just went over to the BYC meat birds section, and its like a whole different world over there!! Over here we are talking about how much we love our hens/roos and how they are they best pets ever [​IMG] and over there however all they talk about is killing and eating [​IMG] They even are showing pics of killing chickens [​IMG] I dont even know how ppl can even do that! Are hens are safe for life, even when they stop laying [​IMG]

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Then I would suggest staying off of the meat birds thread. Are you a vegetarian? If not, I assure you that the meat you buy in the store is treated a whole heck of a lot worse than the chickens that are owned by and butchered by BYC folks.... [​IMG]

3. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Ummmmmm, the purpose behind a meat bird is to supply meat, hence the name. I love my chickens, they are really entertaining and keep me busy but, yeah, some will become freezer camp residents in the future. Not all people see chickens as pets. Sorry if that bothered you.

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Thats good advice. Stay away from the meat birds section, I know I do. My girls are permanent here as well. [​IMG] Cloverleaf is right though, the ones we buy in the store are probably not treated well. Its so sad. [​IMG] Keep on loving your chickens, you're not alone!!! [​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The best suggestion would be to not go there. Many regard their flocks as a source of food.

6. Mudsow

Mudsow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2009
    Although I would never get a meat bird, nor could I kill mine, I do find it very interesting over in the meat bird department. I find it fascinating that they can grow so big so fast. With them though it's not a great life after a few months, they get so misproportioned that it's nearly impossible to be a normal chicken. It's almost necessary to end their lives so they don't go on in misery. I guess that would help if I HAD to kill a chicken.

Mean while, I'll enjoy my bantam welsummers, they don't eat nearly as much as those meaties do! ;-)

7. egglicious

egglicious Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    It is hard, but I'm glad there are those out there that are willing to do the work so that they can eat and feed others as well. I think people who raise meat birds are very responsible folks and I'm so very grateful they do what they do!!

8. chickenlover91

Jul 8, 2011
    OH I KNOW!! factory chickens are a WHOLE lot worse!! Battery hens are crammed all in to one cage given less then a sheet of paper of space to move on. I under stand that they view chickens as food, and thats fine. I eat chicken (i try to avoid it though) but the whole picture thing i think is to much.

9. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Quote:That is the whole point of the meat bird section. And I can bet there is not one person there who would ever think of killing a bird without respect in his or her intent. And that, my dear, is a major difference between our BYC meat section and a grocery store meat section. Unless you are a vegetarian, then you are in for a reality check.

10. chickenlover91

Jul 8, 2011
    And im not saying they are bad ppl for what they do, I am glad there are ppl out there willing to do it. Its the abuse that makes me mad same with pigs, cows, turkeys ect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by