Sad but Touching Photograph

ruth

Life is a Journey
12 Years
Jul 8, 2007
Woodville, MS
We buried our old cat Joe today. He lost his battle with cancer during the night as I sat with him. As soon as I finished placing bricks over his grave, our GSD, Rex, came and laid down by it, in "guard" position and stayed there most of the morning. It's as if he knew Joe was gone and buried there eventhough we did not show him the body but he was standing right there as I buried Joe's body wrapped in a towel so I'm guessing he could smell and knew. You could see the sadness in his face and it made me break down and cry. The touching part of the story is that Joe hated Rex and always took every opportunity to slash him up when he was a puppy. Rex has such a sweet and gentle soul. He lays down next to and guards everything from baby chicks to a dead cat's grave.

JoesGrave.jpg

If there are those who don't believe that animals have feelings, I beg to disagree.

Last edited:
Anybody who thinks animals don't have feelings don't have feelings themselves and aren't human. What a beautiful picture and great, sensitive dog. He's helping his buddies over the Rainbow Bridge.
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Last edited:
Thank you Writer for the Rainbow Bridge. It always brings tears to my eyes. I was telling my husband last night after Joe died that it's my prayer that there is a place were they are made whole and happy because Joe had a very difficult life and was never at peace. I pray that he is now.

I got Joe right after my divorce 12 years ago. My ex-husband hated cats and would not let me have one. I went to the local pound and found "Smokey Joe". I fell in love with him because he looked exactly like the cat I had for many years from chidhood till I was 18. Someone had dropped Joe off, he was about 2 years old. The reason I was given was because of "allergies" but it didn't take long after getting Joe home to see that he had some serious psychological problems. You could sometimes pet his head but if you touched any part of his body he would bite and hiss and claw you and I don't mean in a playing kind of way. He would run through house at full speed as if demons were chasing him and slam into walls and knock things over, completely crazy scared. He went through a period where he would rip all his fur out. He clawed up all furniture in the home. At one point, several years ago one eye fully dialated and stayed that way for months. The kids started calling him "One Eyed Willy". It never completely went back to normal. He would pee and poo in closets, beds, on our clothes despite the fact he had his own private litter box. Then as we started adding other pets over the years, mostly strays that showed up and finally Rex, Joe would attack each one and rip them to pieces and chase them through the house. Everyone learned to keep far, far away from Joe. Joe was a huge cat. Most people thought he looked like a gray panther.

Still we loved Joe and gave him a good home. The poor vets who often had to treat him didn't even know what to do for him. They had suggested, and I'm not kidding, Prozac but the problem was that no one, even them, could handle Joe or give him a pill.

Joe lived his whole life in a continual state of being totally scared and wigged out. He spent this last year on top of a counter where he would sleep and eat.

Rest in Peace Joe.

AWW After the picture and then the Rainbow Bridge story my makeup is smeared down my face!!! I always knew that animals were my "thing" I have had something on four legs since I was a little girl. I have been through this kind of situation more times than I can count, the only thing that matters is that you gave Joe a good, kind, caring home. I am sure that he was thankful for you everyday of his life. If there were only more people like you on this earth that cared so much....

Back
Top Bottom