Sad day at the fair for one 4H kid

Quote:
X2!
Maybe it's because I am a sucker for kids and I'm a sucker for meaties. When you put them both together I'm the biggest sap in the world, but she did work hard and should at least get a certificate for raising good birds
smile.png

I think gifting should be left up to the parents, but a certificate for a job well done for all the kids who lost birds or had a bad outcome might be nice. Words of encouragement go a great way and are remembered. lessons are hard, but once learned and overcome make you stronger. I had to overcome some big bumps growing up, made me a better person. Some children are more sensitive, your words will be helpful. Perhaps next year if you are on the committee you can ask that they have a class for those with issues during the fair.... kind of like" The best achievement award"....... or something.

That is unfortunate.
sad.png

When you show animals though, sometimes things like this happen. In the horse world, you can make it all the way to a prestigious show, even flying the horse to a different country, get all the way to the day of the show, and your horse trots out lame and you are unable to show. Major bummer.

I think it's best for this young girl to learn that animals are not machines and sometimes you have a hiccup, and for the best of the animal, sometimes that means scratching and being unable to show.

Hopefully next year she will have better luck.
smile.png

Quote:
I know you want to help this little girl, and that you are on the poultry committee/board, but unless you are going to give certificates to ALL the children who have lost a bird on their projects, you can't single this little girl out.

My first thought was just like that of mikensara's, to give her a cute little certificate with a job well done/caring for injured bird sort of thing.
But then it was brought out that other children have lost birds at this fair. So then it would be favoritism to give her a certificate and not the other kids.

Perhaps you can talk to her and her mom, and the other kids and their parents about creating flyers to sell their birds privately after the fair OR before it closes for the year.
That way they come away with a good experience, they get some money for their projects, and learn that something good can come of it, when something bad happens.

Hope this helps
Carol

Thanks everyone for the advice, it really is helpful to look at it from other points of view. I was ready to propose that the kids that have lost a bird be allowed to show the remaining two on some level, so I spoke with a long time member of the poultry committee (this is my first year). It turns out that I was wrong. She will still be allowed to show the remaining two birds, and even sell them at market. She will just not be able to compete for placing. I am so relieved that she will be able to continue on some level, and I really like the idea of buying her a book on different breeds of chickens. It was obvious to me how much she cared for her birds, and maybe she might be interested in raising and showing some in classes other than market broilers. I am going to try to stop by the book store before the sale to pick her up one of our favorites so she can look at other breeds. Oh and I was very careful when we gave our broilers their baths tonight, just terrified that they were going to hurt themselves! Thankfully they are all back safely in their cage, and my 10 year old will be participating in his first market show tomorrow morning. Thanks again for all the great advice!

Quote:
I agree with this completely. Showing is about the animal eing in prime condition for a possible win (it's really the animal that wins) and to further a championship line. I show rabbits and the youth shows are just as strict and competitive as the Open shows are. It s a great way for the kids to realize how things are when they grow up.

I realize at some point these children have to realize that the real world is all messed up and you have to be prepared for disappointment. But i think chickenology is right for wanting to reward this child for caring about her chickens and not telling her " oh well kid, thems the breaks." Do you guys realize that more and more of these kids are growing up every day believing life cant continue unless they have a video game system attached to their hands? For Gods sake (and our own), lets encourage these kids to raise animals and enter these shows. My wife and I were unable to have kids but we have two nephews who stay with us quite a bit. They are wonderful kids but are lost without their gameboys and playstation portables. Its almost like they think it is their pacemaker. I say do what ever it takes to encourage the next generation to embrace farming and animal husbandry so that they dont grow up and starve to death. Otherwise, who the heck is gonna feed us when we are all old and in nursing homes?

Last edited:
As a 4-H alumni; current 4-H Leader and a parent of a child who will show birds next year, I'm torn on this. 4-H is never about 'winning' it is about learning by doing and growing as a responsible person.... BUT the kids want to win (not to mention the parents who often put in a lot of hours and money on projects). I'm glad she will be able to continue with her show, but singling her out for a special award it probably not warranted. Encouragement to keep trying is what she needs. I like the book idea, perhaps a different breed would spark her interest and keep her involved in poultry.

4-H kids deal with disappointment often. Animals die, the hog who looked awful when State Fair registrations were due is now winning everything but cannot show at State (true story my niece is dealing with), hogs get too fat and are disqualified, horses go lame... on and on. Most often these kids are tough and determined to come back next year and do better. That is our job as leaders, encourage and support them.

I love 4-H and the kids involved, they are the future and backbone of our country. Cannot say enough good things about FFA either. Get your kids involved in one or both of these organizations, you won't regret it. Neither organization is all about showing animals, kids can do amazing things and never touch livestock.

Back
Top Bottom